My dollar bet

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
willk
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55993

My dollar bet

Post by willk »

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that the decline of handgun silhouette is because
A. Guns are too expensive
B. Too many categories
C. Scopes
D. Guns are too expensive (this one gets repeated twice because of being mentioned so often)

Well if this is the problem, why bellyache. Go on and hold a series of matches with the simplified rules/categories that are so often pined about

Try these for rules.

1. Three categories
A. Production
B. Standing
C. Unlimited

Production and standing guns are limited to no more than $1000.00 (Just above the price of a standard S&W 629 and Ruger Super Blackhawk.) Any multi shot revolver or semi-auto pistol. No bolt or single shot handguns. No Telescopic or red dot sights allowed.

These guns must be shot exactly as they are sold, no trigger jobs, no custom grips, no extra sights, no rechambering.
Standing, gun may be shot with one hand or two hands but hands must be touching the grip, no other place
Production and unlimited may be shot standing, kneeling or prone. Again, no part of arm or firearm can touch the body, or ground and hands must be on the grips

Unlimited. Max price of guns $1000.00. Must be a single shot, Break open handgun. Must be shot in factory chambered round that is SAAMI approved. Must use sights sold with gun. If gun comes with no sight, a sight conforming to the exact shape and function of the sight on the S&W 629 and may cost no more than $100.00 may be used. No changes to the firearm is allowed. NO Telescopic or Red dot sights.

No changes to sight settings may be made during the course of fire. No modification to sights or alterations allowed including smoking the sights to reduce glare.

There is your entire rule book.

So, prove us wrong. Hold a series of matches with these rules. Show us that the masses will return to silhouette. I am sure that the folks currently running IHMSA would surely allow/encourage such simplified rules for your matches if it would encourage greater participation.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: My dollar bet

Post by 35isit »

:))
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Will, Will , Will ! :D (I doubt that you could get anyone to take that bait !)
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

ok, Try this:

1. must be shot with a carry gun
2. must be shot as you would a carry gun. same positions as you would a carry gun.
3. not allowed to make sight adjustments during course of fire.
4. shot on field pistol targets.

and that right there I just described 'Bordello' which has been around for many years (just never sanctioned)!

But, I will not allow a friend of mine to shoot it as his CCW list a main carry gun is a 4" barreled 454casull! :(( :((
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

nutcase wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:59 am ok, Try this:

1. must be shot with a carry gun
2. must be shot as you would a carry gun. same positions as you would a carry gun.
3. not allowed to make sight adjustments during course of fire.
4. shot on field pistol targets.

and that right there I just described 'Bordello' which has been around for many years (just never sanctioned)! Thanks
Dave Whitman loved shooting that at JCSA in Grants Pass!

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Sounds like me my 1st. Ever
Shot SB standing with Ruger single six just like left the factory. My score was a 6
Shot Field pistol bone stock 1979 model 22 Hornet. Shot a 9
It was a year before I came back to Gainsville but when I did Come back I had a Taco set up 22 contender I shot it Standing, production and Unlimited.
To answer your question no if all I could shot was What I took to my 1st. Match it would have also been my last match.
Over the years I’ve put together all I need to shoot most SB and BB classes most are set up to shoot prone with the rules change not sure if they are legal now if their deemed illegal then I’ve shot my last IHMSA match
Jrs
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

ole95 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:26 pm Sounds like me my 1st. Ever
Shot SB standing with Ruger single six just like left the factory. My score was a 6
Shot Field pistol bone stock 1979 model 22 Hornet. Shot a 9
It was a year before I came back to Gainsville but when I did Come back I had a Taco set up 22 contender I shot it Standing, production and Unlimited.
To answer your question no if all I could shot was What I took to my 1st. Match it would have also been my last match.
Over the years I’ve put together all I need to shoot most SB and BB classes most are set up to shoot prone with the rules change not sure if they are legal now if their deemed illegal then I’ve shot my last IHMSA match
Jrs
There has not been a rule change. For most concerns recently, it has been around the position not the gun. Reach out, send some pictures please.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

Interesting thoughts Willk.....can't agree though....Take away scopes....my matches would have folded up 20 years ago(been holding IHMSA matches for 44 years). The older guys want the scopes...we can't see iron sights anymore. I don't believe that any of the reasons that you stated really addresses the decline of IHMSA. It's a tough game and most shooters want to "run and gun" and not be tied to a slow moving accurate game that may take a few years of hard work to get that first 40. There are other reasons, but I'll not get into them at this time. And iron sights like that are on a S&W 29? Wow, pick that absolutely worse iron sights out there for a Unlimited gun? I don't think so.
If I was to hold a match under your rules....there wouldn't be anyone shooting it. But an interesting take! :D
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

Alvin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 am Interesting thoughts Willk.....can't agree though....Take away scopes....my matches would have folded up 20 years ago(been holding IHMSA matches for 44 years). The older guys want the scopes...we can't see iron sights anymore. I don't believe that any of the reasons that you stated really addresses the decline of IHMSA. It's a tough game and most shooters want to "run and gun" and not be tied to a slow moving accurate game that may take a few years of hard work to get that first 40. There are other reasons, but I'll not get into them at this time. And iron sights like that are on a S&W 29? Wow, pick that absolutely worse iron sights out there for a Unlimited gun? I don't think so.
If I was to hold a match under your rules....there wouldn't be anyone shooting it. But an interesting take! :D
I think you missed his point. You and Will actually agree. He is refuting the idea that scopes and additional categories are the cause of IHMSA decline.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

high standard 40 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:05 am
Alvin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:51 am
I think you missed his point. You and Will actually agree. He is refuting the idea that scopes and additional categories are the cause of IHMSA decline.
IHMSA declined when Elgin died & the the ability to buy cheap guns went away. My humble opinion.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.