Grumpy rambling, barrel swap variety

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Grumpy rambling, barrel swap variety

Post by jmoore »

Having found that .223 with 88gr bullets will do to take Rams in UAS and usually in Unlimited (14-15" barrel length, 1-7" twist) at the local range (if well placed) it's annoying to find that there's no "cheap, good and fast" barrel option for bolt action pistols.

Contemplating spending near on $500 just to get a suitable XP-100 barrel, meanwhile I've a number of AR barrels about which could do the job and cost basically nothing. (I did spend a whole $90 for one used "ban era" Colt 1-7 twist barrel, it just needed a slight shortening and a sleeve over the gas port. And $100 for a brand new Green Mountain barrel that never had a gas port which is currently on my UAS AR kluge.)

It seems that there ought to be a way to adapt AR barrels to a bolt gun receiver, either with a thread adapter in lieu of the usual breech collar or a bolt action that could use the regular AR barrels in some QD way.

Shoot, even a single shot something or other....Which would be handy if the gun grabbers make off with the ARs. Still a blue million barrels about! A striker fired bolt gun with a very low profile under belly...(The FightLite SCR is close, just a little too long in the back end.)

https://fightlite.com/scr-pistol-m-lok-300blk

That would make an interesting Production gun if it weren't too long.

A tinkerer's rant off. ;)