IHMSA Rules and such

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Re: IHMSA Rules and such

Post by dan in mi »

I firmly believe what got this game rolling was the production rule. It allowed anyone to come and compete right off the street with minimal learning curve and no special expenditures to start.

I think we shot ourselves in the foot in a few ways. Mostly by screwing with the Production rule.

1) We didn't put a price limit on production. Didn't seem like a big deal at first, but it quickly did. Get too broad of a price range and equipment differences will show up. All categories became quasi unlimited based on spending ability.

2) Being too particular on Production. Gold filled lettering turning a gun to an Unlimited? C'mon, some things mattered, some didn't. We did not differentiate properly.

3) Modifying production for every possible factory, accessory company ad on available. Once again, if you had the cash you add on all the upgrades possible to make your gun much different than designed/built.

3) Probably one of our biggest mistakes - (that in no way could be stopped or foreseen) Demanding manufacturers up their quality. As production guns got better the skills required dropped a little. The game got easier due to what we showed, or demanded of manufacturers. This became related to #1. Some manufacturers listened and upped their game, some didn't. Others came in went all out to fix everything and then became the high dollar super quality production guns.

4) A little too diverse in categories.

Yes, the game is slow, but long range shooting is slow. There are accuracy games out there that aren't run and gun. We've just complicated ours to the point you need a lawyer to know how to sign up.

I was out of the game for about 15 years. I am honestly waiting get dinged for something that was legal for 25 years but now falls into some new crack.
User avatar United States of America
willk
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55993

Post by willk »

Price of guns. I’m going to hurt some feelings (afterall, I am only a newly with 21 years in the sport) but price of guns? its a joke. I dabble in PRS. The very basic PRS rifles start at $2500.00, add $300 to 500 for the bipod, and $2500 for the scope. That’s THE BARE MINIMUM!!! (RIGHT AROUND $5500.00 JUST FOR THE GUN. THE CHEAPEST RIFLE). Yes, a five hundred dollar Weatherby Vanguard with a three hundred fifty dollar Leupold Freedom scope is perfectly acceptable...BUT, At Magnolia Range in Central Mississippi this weekend, you won’t find one.

At the two day Magnolia match this weekend (August 21-22) There are more shooters competing than probably IHMA has had all year. And most competitors are shooting firearms that are at least 5K and many shooting firearms that cost 10K. ($10,000.00). At a local match I attended in May, we had 89 competitors and I had to register early to get a spot. All of us shooting Rifles/scope combinations that cost what two or three Freedom Arms.

And Why Pick On Freedom Arms? They are the last major gun maker that supports IHMSA So, lets make sure we poop all over them.

So, don’t whine and pine over costs of a firearm. People just are not shooting Silhouette. Read Charlies post again. There is real truth there.

(In case you are wondering, I had to save and scrimp over a year and sold a couple of firearms to afford my MPA)
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Go to trap shoot where more than 10 shooters show up. Prices range from $1000.00 to $15,000.00. That's used prices not counting any accessories. Release trigger $300.00-$1000.00. Recoil reducers $400.00 to $2000.00. Custom stocks, sky is the limit.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

Ok, adding these as they have been used as silhouette guns.

a Ruger super Blackhawk 10" in 44Mag has a MSRP of just under $1,000 right now.

a 10" Ruger mark IV stainless steel has an MSRP of just over $800

and most of you know Ruger Sights are not the best.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member