Bowen Rear Sights

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Bowen Rear Sights

Post by 7br »

Supposedly, Ruger rear sights will drop into a Dan Wesson revolver. If this is the case, does anyone have any experience with the Bowen rear sights?
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Re: Bowen Rear Sights

Post by Hosspower »

I have a super blackhawk with a bowen rear sight. Yes, it's nice. It was on the gun when I bought it.

I have put ruger sights in Dan Wessons. One thing to watch is not all Dan Wessons have the same rear sight. The elevation screw is in 2 different spots. 357 mag or 22 you are good to go with a ruger sight. I do remember having to watch the length of the elevation screw.

A shooting buddy of mine wanted a bower sight for his single six. Ordered it from Bowen and after waiting about 9 months or so he cancelled the order. Talked to Bowen a couple times and said his supplier was waiting on parts. It didn't sound like Bowen made the sight. I could be wrong.

Good luck if you order 1.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

A shooting buddy of mine has a Bowen on his Super Blackhawk, and really likes it. He didn't mention to me that he had to wait on it. He uses his for IHMSA silhouette shooting.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Concerning putting a Ruger sight on a Dan Wesson - the answer is yes AND no. The small frame DW's and the latter-production large frame DW's use the same rear sight. These sights have the same mounting pattern as the Ruger rear. The very early 44 DW's had the elevation screw mounted almost to the rear sight blade - Ruger will not fit ! There is , however a problem with using a Ruger sight on the other Dans - the Ruger sight has a bump on the bottom, and when installed on a DW it prevents the rear sight from bottoming out. You will have limited adjustment, and will need a very tall front blade. The only sight that can be used on a Dan without this problem is the rear sight that came on the Target model MK1, 3, and 3 semi-auto .22 pistols. They do not have the bump on the bottom. But, to get it to bottom out on the frame you will have to deepen the spring holes on the Ruger sight. I have attached pics of a DW 357 with this Ruger sight installed. I have owned a Bowen target rear sight in the past, but I cannot recall if they had the bump on the bottom. If they do, you will probably have the same problem. I have another solution that you may consider - a couple of years ago I purchased a target rear sight from CZ-Dan Wesson. Upon receipt I thought that it looked familiar, and finally figured it out. It was a clone of the old Elliason rear sights that Colt used on the Python. And the elevation screw was a different thread than the DW. I called them and they told me that the screws were the same, but the screw that they sent was wrong. I determined that they were getting their sights from Kensight, and that the Python used a thread with a slightly different pitch. Kensight had sent them the wrong screws !! He was able to scrounge one up for me, and it then installed without problem. You might contact Kensight and give them dimensions - I think that the Python Elliason sight will fit a Dan, if you can get the proper elevation screw !!
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA