The good ole days

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
RWoods
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

The good ole days

Post by RWoods »

Hi everybody. Just finished posting some stuff for sale. Thought I would ramble a little bit. I started shooting silhouette about 1988 or 89. We had a silhouette range just out side of town called Rambusters. They only shot Smallbore and Hunters Pistol, FP in IHMSA. Anyway, my first match I shot a 6 inch barreled Dan Wesson 357 mag. I managed to hit and knock down 8 of the 40 targets. I was hooked! I shot the 357 a few more times. But knew if I wanted to improve I was going to need a Contender. So I bit the bullet, bought a contender with a 32-20 barrel and a 22LR barrel. Anyway that first match led to reloading, trying different calibers. Different scopes. Trying different powders to get the most accurate load for whatever caliber I was shooting at the time. Then my buddy and I found out that there were ranges in PA that shot silhouette. So we started traveling every Saturday to somewhere in Pa to shoot. These were NRA programs. It was a great time! I enjoyed every minute of it. Not just the shooting. But meeting other people who were as nutty about silhouette shooting as I was. I met a lot of new friends. Then we heard about the IHMSA program of shooting. We searched it out and we found another group of great people to shoot with. I don't know how much money I spent during this period. But it doesn't matter. I enjoyed every minute of it. In 1999 we lost the range here in Elkins. The next range in WV was down in Rupert. It is one of those places that you can't get there from here. You have to go somewhere else to get started. So needless to say my silhouette shooting started slowing down. With nowhere to practice I started losing my edge. I shot my last match at the NRA Nationals in Bradford in 2005. I still miss shooting silhouette and the fellowship of the people I met.