MAKING APERTURES FOR PEEPS

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Re: MAKING APERTURES FOR PEEPS

Post by i26963 »

contender1121 wrote:In my case, they are press fit since Delrin is extremely difficult to glue. I'm dealing with small bore so I'm not concerned with recoil. I doubt it would be an issue with BB since there is no mass and the fit is tight.
Since making this one I've decided to go down in the diameter of the aperture. Things get a bit difficult on turks and rams with this big of a hole.
If I can figure a way to pull it off, I would like to try a very thin small ring with no hole at all. Who knows, it might work.
Yep, the T and R get lost in a big aperture.
Are you talking about using maybe just like a dot? Might work, but I have trouble getting enough light in the hood to see a dot. Maybe a clear Taco hood!? :p
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Re: MAKING APERTURES FOR PEEPS

Post by contender1121 »

No, I was thinking a small engraved circle with a very fine line width. A filled dot would be interesting to experiment with first since it would be a LOT easier to make than a fine ring. I recently sold my industrial pantograph engraver. Wish I had it back now.
As of right now, I'm not shooting standing with peeps. Gotta crawl before I can run. With the new rule in place this year I am shooting SB Production with a Sig red dot sight on a TC and am having good luck with it. I shot clean with it up thru the turks at the last match but had problems with the rams. I believe part of the problem is the gun does not like ammo I'm using at 100 yds. The theory of a small black dot should coincide with that of a red dot. The only problem I can foresee is that the OKC range paints the targets black. Then, on the other hand, we shoot air pistols indoors and paint the targets white. I put peeps on my IZH-46M so that might be a good test for a black dot.
I'm using Anschutz globe front sights. These have a slot in the upper half of the tube right where the aperture sits and that will let light in. This globe sight by itself is not very good for a taco hold but shade tubes can be screwed into both ends which makes a big improvement for a taco hold.