New shooter getting started

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

New shooter getting started

Post by Polaris »

Hello all. Been interested in the sport for a few years, but the local matches always seemed to coincide with NRA HP and CMP EIC matches which are my primary focus. This season's schedule looks more user friendly for me, so I plan to give it a go. Have read the basic rules, bit of information overload. I can imagine how you folks feel reading the CMP or NRA rules. Looking for a few old hands to show me some ropes and give me the quick and dirty to get started. No doubt I'll pick up more as I go, just as I did in HP.

Basically, I currently own an unmodified Ruger Blackhawk 7" .41 mag with which I am quite proficient to 100 yards. Clearly I can shoot revolver or field classes with this gun as-is. Keep in mind, I'm not planning on going to the nationals, just getting out and dinging some steel/having fun. Also own a Ruger mkIII 22/45 bull barrel. Assume this would be semi-serviceable for rimfire. Sounds like we'll be burning OT at work through January, so Santa may bring me a belated Contender.

Wondering what I should be doing over the winter to gear up, in terms of loads for the .41, scopes or sights as allowed, misc. gear, and what I would look for in a contender in terms of configuration and caliber. Currently load pistol .357mag and .41 mag, rifle 5.56 heavy match, 6.5x55, .280 rem, .308, .300 Sav, and 7.62X54R, so if any of those are useful rounds for this sport, would like to stick with them. At the minimum I would like to keep within those bullet diameters. Especially fond of the 6.5x55, not sure how it performs from pistol length barrels though. Thanks for any input. Be mindful, I am looking to shoot this sport informally (for now) and am somewhat budget conscious.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Re: New shooter getting started

Post by LOCKHART »

Your Ruger can be shot in both revolver and production, you just have to shoot revolver class first. If they shoot rimfire IHMSA, your 22/45 should be good for standing class. Barrel might be a little short for safely shooting Creed more.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Your Ruger would also suffice for big bore standing.
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Welcome to the insanity. Shoot what you have. Use whatever sighting system gives you the most success. The more you shoot the more your preferences will come to the forefront.

Let us know where you will be shooting.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Adding a Contender to your stable is a great idea, it allows you to be a good bit more versatile. A 10 in 7tcu is pretty common to shoot production and easier to shoot standing than your revolver. Adding a 10" 22 barrel gets you more safely into production (the barrel is significantly longer than the 22/45) and if you want to scope it there are additional categories available. Most of us shy away from full length rifle calibers like the 308 & 6.5x55 because the recoil is quite different when comparing repeated firing from a 4 pound gun shooting with one hand versus a 10 pound rifle from the shoulder. You can shoot reduced loads, but a second hand 7tcu, 6.5tcu, or 300 Whisper barrel & dies can sometimes be purchased for $200 +/-. On the other hand, if you're ok with the recoil and intend to hunt with it, the bigger calibers on a Encore frame can work for you.

Best advice is to attend a match or let us know where you live & arrange a play date. Great bunch of guys, always ready to let a newcomer fire a few shots through our guns to let you see & feel what it's like and offer words of wisdom and open up potential gun/caliber/sights combinations that might work for you.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
Polaris
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Polaris »

.300 Blackout, 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 (.308 bore) are definitely on my Radar for lower powered bottlenecks if I were to add a caliber to my pile of reloading dies, as I would like to stay away from cartridge forming. As above, downloaded .308 or .300 Sav would work, and both of these respond well to reduced loads and have plenty of horsepower for deer or black bear. Due to a bathroom remodel project prioritized by a frozen and split water line, a contender is only wishful thinking for the moment unless I find someone willing to trade a setup for a nice Swiss rifle. Probably be a next summer thing after I get back into overtime season.

Still curious if anyone has any experience with the 6.5x55 in a short barrel. I'm from MN, silhouette is strictly a summer game here, so I'll have to wait to get out and give it a go. Sounds like I'm at least set up to go out and play with it as-is.