New Guy Questions

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
sjs
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

New Guy Questions

Post by sjs »

Hello, I just registered and I am interested in shooting IHMSA. I have two Contenders and a few barrels including .22lr, .357 and 30-30 but they are 12" and I need a scope. As I review the rules it looks like I might be able to shoot despite the 12" barrels and the scope if I shoot unlimited, but I could be wrong.

I have been looking for a place that holds matches and it looks like the closest may be Lincolnton, GA. I am in Bluffton, SC which is over 3 hours away. I would appreciate any info anyone might have on a closer place to shoot. I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum.

Thanks.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: New Guy Questions

Post by 260 Striker »

sjs, Welcome to a great shooting sport.
You are correct about your 12" barrels being legal in Unlimited classes. You can scope one of them and also compete in Unlimited Any Sight (UAS) which allows you to use any safe shooting position and then you could use the same scope barrel in the Unlimited Standing (US) classes. I started out with a 10" 30-30 barrel and it can be very competitive. Same goes for the 357 magnum barrel but might be a little iffy on hardset rams. Of course your 12" .22lr barrel can be used in the same small bore categories (U, UAS and US). Unfortunately your 12" barrels are too long to be considered Production legal which would open up more classes for you to shoot. If your 357 mag barrel was 10" you could have used that in our Field Pistol (FP) classes. Please go to the IHMSA.ORG main page and there is a master schedule that shows all the ranges hosting matches. You might find one closer to home. I'm in OH so if you are ever up our way check out the Logan Handgun Association. Another OH range, Tusco is hosting a major event next year and it is an excellent range and great people. I think you will find great people wherever you shoot. Don't be afraid to ask for help at matches. Good luck and good shooting.
Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

sjs, Run what you brung. Melvin and Robert will be glad to have you at the junkyard in Lincolnton. In fact if I may Lincolnton should be on everyones bucket list. Where else can you shoot with cows, junk cars, coyotes, deer and black bear. But I digress. Patrick S C is about the same distance according to mapquest, 3.5 hours. Wilmington N C is about 4.5 hours away. Like 260 said take your guns, ammo, eye and ear protection and have a ball. When the day is done they will probably take you to town and get you some heart attack inducing chicken.

I'm sure Melvin, Robert and Richard will be here soon to invite you.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

welcome, SJS. Lynn is correct on the barrel length. Unless IHMSA changes its 10'' length rule the 12s are placed in Unl, UAS, and SU. However----there is one other place to land. The category of Practical Hunter is one designed for non--standard guns. (Those not fitting the Production rule for any reason). Bring what you have to LRGC. Don't fret that the 357 might not be competitive. I have a scoped 10'' 357 -----you fare better using 180 or 200gr bullets. Scope that one. Shoot it in UAS and P H. Shoot the 30-30 in Unl. Bring the .22LR, too.
Three hours is a haul but my drive is 2 1/2 hrs so I sympathize. Bring a friend. The drive is easier that way. (and you need a spotter).
As to scopes: One of the easiest to use is the Bushnell Trophy 2--6x. Shop the optics forum at Graybeard Outdoors and the Outdoor Trader---Accessories. Check GA and SC, maybe NC also. P H limits scopes to 6x. UAS does not limit but 6 to 8x is about all most of us can stabilize.
Check the gaihmsa.org site as well and keep in touch over the winter. If the weather is suitable we may shoot late Feb. If not---late March---4th Sat. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
sjs
Target Setter

Post by sjs »

Thank you very much guys. I have a Nikon fixed 2X and a Burris fixed 2X and also a Burris 2-6X for pistol scopes. After reading this forum I mounted a 4-12X Bushnell rifle scope on my .22 to try using the Taco hold. I won't mind if I can't shoot in a lot of categories, if I can shoot in one I will enjoy it and I like shooting standing up. I'm an old guy and any other position is hard to get into and harder to get out of.

I am new to single shot pistols and I am having fun learning to shoot the Contender. 3 hours drive doesn't sound quite so bad now.

I very much appreciate the feedback.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

I concur with all the above. Just adding a vote to go ahead and make the drive to Lincolnton! (2 1/2 - 3 hrs for me each way as well. (Longer time if I ride along with kdiver58, even though he's a little closer.) Just finished my second year shooting Big Bore, all done at Lincolnton.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

sis
We would love to have you come shoot with us at Little River Gun Club in Lincolnton, GA.
We start back in March,2018. We offer B.B., SB,and FP on the same day.
Here is a link to our website that has the schedule listed, along with contact info for me and Robert Walker.
http://www.gaihmsa.org/
Bring what you have, and we can put you in the right class.
There are lots of helpful shooters at our match!
Melvin Calliham
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
sjs
Target Setter

Post by sjs »

Thank you jmoore and Melvin. Great looking website. Looks like Lincolnton is my destination. I very much appreciate the welcome.
sjs
Target Setter

Post by sjs »

I have been reading material here and it looks like my first step is to join the US National IHMSA using the form from the main page. Is that correct or do I need to join a State or Regional organization?

Also, the newsletter you get for additional payment, is it the same as the "News" section on the main page?

Finally, if I shoot at Lincolnton, do I need to join that club or just pay the match fees for each match?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

sjs, You do not have to join the IHMSA organization to shoot at matches nor do you need to belong to any state or even local clubs. You may want to join IHMSA and even a local club that you will shoot on a regular basis. It is great to be a part of IHMSA and local clubs if possible. The friendships you will find are priceless. The IHMSA News on the main webpage is the periodic paper for IHMSA and is open to everyone who visits the website. If you shoot our sport one time I think you will see the value in belonging to IHMSA and to your favorite local club. Melvin and Jonathan are great people and will give you great advice and probably offer help with anything you need. I also think you will find just shooting one entry per match will not fill your need for shooting steel after that first target falls.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885