22 Rifle Long Range Silhouette

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

22 Rifle Long Range Silhouette

Post by aggshooter »

About a year ago, I shot a Long Range Varmint Silhouette match near Reno. It was a blast!! Borrowed a rifle from the match director (paid him for the ammo). We shot swingers at 200, 385, & 500 meters. Squirrel at 200, feeding crow and prairie dog at 385, jackrabbit & coyote at 500. The targets hung from a strap and danced wildly when hit. 26 shooters were put into 6 squads, each squad had their own set of targets. The first shooter in each squad fired 10 shots, then rotated and the next shooter in squad fired (similar to NRA Hunter Pistol & Rifle matches). Shooters fired prone with bipod or clothing filled daypack. There were a couple PC benches for those who couldn't get prone.

Like I said, it was a blast. Spent the winter figuring out how I could downsize it to fit our range using rimfire targets. We use a combination of 1/5 & 3/8 scale IHMSA targets that are under-used in our matches. Targets are at 75 yards, 100 & 150 meters. The purpose was to arrange targets that are capable of being hit at those distances with ordinary rifles (with optics) to appeal to general club members.

Oh yeah, targets are engaged at different distances within the same 2.5 minute time frame. One shot at 75, two shots at 100m, two shots at 150m. Each string of 5 targets is a different sequence. Makes you either run the turret or use a mildot type optic.

Turnout has been good, with 15-21 shooters at each match. We take a few bucks from each entry and use a Lewis Class style payback to allow mid and lower skill shooters a chance to win $$ in a match that has many shooters of unknown skill level.

Match starts at 11am, we allow a 30 minute sighting in period prior to shooting for score. All shooters need to be signed up by 10:15. The match starts on time (mostly), all shooters experience the same weather conditions throughout the day. Takes about 3 hours to run the match, we put away targets (I have refined it greatly) and then we have a quick recap meeting and pass out the money. Best scores are 35-37, 22-30 is normal.

I know this may be blasphemy on this site, but for clubs that have targets or want to engage some of their rifle shooters in a fun event, this may be a game they can play. We have 5-6 shooters at each match that use the PC tables. Some of our shooters are age 60 and have never fired in competition before this event. I've had 6 of the 4H kids shoot in it, and my oldest daughter came in 3rd last month among 17 shooters. Our November match we had to start a Novice class with bigger targets for the newbies.

Want more details? post here or PM me.

Rich
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Re: 22 Rifle Long Range Silhouette

Post by i26963 »

Hey, Rich
Steve Roe started a match similar to this in Conover, NC 5 or 6 years ago. They shoot small steel silhouette targets out to 200 meters. He calls it a tactical match, and they use different scenarios each time, requiring shooting from many different positions.
It has been very popular, and they have a great turnout.
Good shooting
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: 22 Rifle Long Range Silhouette

Post by 35isit »

Rich, Check out this thread in Region II viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3402. Hope you will come down.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director