Ihmsa news

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Re: Ihmsa news

Post by braud357 »

Lynn, you make a valid point ! In reality - it seems that no effort is being made to reach anyone using any media - we can only do so much at the local level !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

260 Striker wrote:I am curious how many IHMSA members have actually logged onto this forum. Some of the older members don't even own or use computers. I guess that is why some members still wanted the printed paper. I'm sure many of the posts of FB are probably NOT IHMSA members either. Social media is the rage these days but I still don't think it would reach all our members. I get so tired of seeing the junk on FB and don't go there very often. It has it purpose I guess but that doesn't make it the best way to serve ALL our members. Even this forum is only frequented by a small percentage of our members. Just check out the alias list and you will see what I mean. No one size fits all solution.
I don't think I have seen one post on FB that was not from an ihmsa member. And a LOT of them are even older than me! :D
I'm not saying it is for everybody, but it is a form of communication, something we are not getting here.
I would like for the elected officers to respond to concerns, whether it is here, FB, etc., but not just at the World Championships..
The printed paper is an option where members don't "do" computers, but their is a huge lag between something happening, and when it is published in a printed paper.nothing like instant communication in today's world.
My two cents
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

VERY TRUE! I'm sure there are efforts being made at the high level to promote IHMSA but we are not hearing about those efforts. Even this forum that was created to keep IHMSA members informed is very quiet about the workings of HQ. We hear tidbits every once in a while like Jared stepping up to help out (THANKS JARED) but those usually come from other members. Dan joins in frequently to update us for things he does but mostly a loud, QUIET noise from HQ. I think we would all feel more assured about the future of IHMSA if we were just more informed. Meanwhile, the local MDs carry the load of keeping matches going even when very small turnouts. Philip and Charlie as good examples!!! Us old timers won't stop shooting until we get to old to safely handle our guns.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

260 Striker wrote:I am curious how many IHMSA members have actually logged onto this forum. Some of the older members don't even own or use computers. I guess that is why some members still wanted the printed paper. I'm sure many of the posts of FB are probably NOT IHMSA members either. Social media is the rage these days but I still don't think it would reach all our members. I get so tired of seeing the junk on FB and don't go there very often. It has it purpose I guess but that doesn't make it the best way to serve ALL our members. Even this forum is only frequented by a small percentage of our members. Just check out the alias list and you will see what I mean. No one size fits all solution.
Lynn,
I'm glad you're one of the "geezers" that use a computer! As a "young whippersnapper" recently past the half century mark I agree FB is important but I believe info should be duplicated here. Remember a couple years ago in one of FBs anti-2A spasms all pics on our FB page that had a firearm in it were deleted. FB could delete our page in a heartbeat and everything there could disappear. Mark Zuckerberg hates the 2nd Ammendment!!

I post both when I get the time because while my job doesn't have me globe trotting it has me hemisphere trotting like a headless chicken.
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
United States of America
i26963
Class A

Post by i26963 »

hardtoseeovergut wrote:
Lynn,
I'm glad you're one of the "geezers" that use a computer! As a "young whippersnapper" recently past the half century mark I agree FB is important but I believe info should be duplicated here. Remember a couple years ago in one of FBs anti-2A spasms all pics on our FB page that had a firearm in it were deleted. FB could delete our page in a heartbeat and everything there could disappear. Mark Zuckerberg hates the 2nd Ammendment!!

I post both when I get the time because while my job doesn't have me globe trotting it has me hemisphere trotting like a headless chicken.
Brian
Are you sure Lynn is old enough to qualify as a geezer? I thought you had to be at least my age for that! :p
Melvin
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Melvin, 71 on this end. Mind says I'm 30, body says I'm 80 and my eyes don't know!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
i26963
Class A

Post by i26963 »

260 Striker wrote:Melvin, 71 on this end. Mind says I'm 30, body says I'm 80 and my eyes don't know!!!!!
Lynn, you can't be old, then, because you are only 3 years older than me! :)
Melvin
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Aside from the subject at hand; I offer the following relating to Men and Age : Males have three ages. First there is Chronological age, how many birthday candles we count. Second there is Physical age, this shows how badly we have beat up our body. Lastly, the Mental age. This never exceeds 18 and some don't get that far. Ladies will always agree with #3.
We can resume the intelligent topic now. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Unfortunately if you won't to have a future you can't live in the past
I love and miss the paper. We're finding out just like the local papers
Printed papers are a thing of the past social media is the near future
Sad but true
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

I agree with Richard. The old is going to be going away, and the new will be sweeping in...and in this case, it will be Colorado State sweeping through the tired old Alabama!
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett