Left the Range- Ed Ganz

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Left the Range- Ed Ganz

Post by aggshooter »

It is with heavy heart that I inform our community of the passing of fellow Indiana shooter Ed Ganz. Ed was the silhouette match director at Sycamore Valley Gun Club in Bloomington when I joined IHMSA in 1983. Ed was among the leaders in Indiana silhouette during my "upbringing" in the sport, and I looked up to him as one of my mentors. He was responsible for influencing me to shoot all the events, thus leading me into a career of chasing aggregate awards.

Ed could be seen at a match nearly every weekend. He usually fired his XP in 7br and a Ruger 44 mag. He was one of many shooters at Bloomington/Indianapolis along with Mike Dayton, the late Ralph Bond, Dean Grua, Dave Wood, Jim German, Richard Lashua, Rick DelSignore, and others that formed a tight group that made the silhouette matches so much fun in the heyday of the 80's & 90's. Ed travelled to New Zealand in 1994 and won their National Championship. He often brought his daughters Annette and Susie. I recall the girls couldn't agree on the paint scheme for their XP, and Ed resolved it by painting half the gun pink and the other half purple!

Information regarding Ed's passing can be found here: http://www.indianagreenburials.com/
Click on the obituaries tab and then his name. There is a way to send condolences his family via the obit.

Ed's daughter Annette reached out to me, she would like to hear from Ed's old shooting friends. Folks can share their remembrances of Ed by contacting her at: Anetmc@gmail.com.

Rest in Peace.

Rich Hawkins
Indiana
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Left the Range- Ed Ganz

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Very sorry to hear this Rich. Ed was a pillar of IHMSA in Indiana. Condolences to the family.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ed, but remember him from "The Silhouette" and "IHMSA News".
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
Annie80x40
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Annie80x40 »

Thank you so much Rich, for posting this about my dad. He is greatly missed by family and friends. I will never forget my times with dad and his shooting buddies. He taught well, as I have many trophies. All tho I could never beat my dad! I still have the 7 BR, now primer grey. One day I hope to have a wrap made and get it back to how he painted it. I was lucky to find pictures. I hope to shoot again, It has been a long time. I visited dad while he was in Florida years ago and got to shoot his 6br, all though I didn't do worth a dam, dad was proud I at least hit a little more than half.
Attachments
tmp_17149-FB_IMG_14868351151721490835961.jpg
tmp_17149-FB_IMG_14868351151721490835961.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

Remember Ed from my early days of sillywet shooting. Ralph an Ed are missed along with the above mentioned good friends. I think you left out Riley Brewer.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
Annie80x40
Target Setter

Post by Annie80x40 »

I'm not sure why my other post didn't go threw. I just wasn't to thank everyone for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I hope with help from my dad's shooting friends I'll be able to shoot one more time in honor of my dad. I learned from the best, despite him being my dad. I was good and he was proud. I remember always trying to out shoot him, but I couldn't. I knew then I would never be as good as him, I had fun trying tho. I still have my gun, the 7 BR. It's primer grey now as he was trying to sell it. I wouldn't help him with getting pictures on the internet cause I didn't want to see it go. Dad built the grip and it has a bond custom barrel and trigger. I hope one day to get a wrap made for it and get it back to the pink and purple.
Again, thank you Rich for everything.
Attachments
Me spotting for dad at Sycamore Valley
Me spotting for dad at Sycamore Valley
FB_IMG_1486842771988.jpg (158.97 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

I'm truly sorry to hear this; I often wondered how Ed was doing. My remembrances go back to his stay in FL and the FL vs GA Border War, where I first met him. It would be 80 degrees in FL and Ed would be wearing a blue jean jacket. He was an outstanding shooter and a gentlemen. He will be missed !!!
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
IHMSA80x80
Class B

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Very sad to hear this, Ed was a great guy.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
219DW
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 10127

Post by 219DW »

Sorry to hear of Ed's passing. I have many fond memories of shooting with him at Sycamore Valley and other Indiana ranges.

Dave Wood
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

If your xp is already primered, you can do the rest with some quality spray paint. I'll send you a pic. Or pick out a pattern for the hydrodip process that is currently popular. Youi can also spray a base coat of your favorite color, then add as desired with spray and a sponge.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000