re-barrel rules

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
gibar
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: re-barrel rules

Post by gibar »

ramslammer wrote:This post and all the follow up viewed by a non member is why many don't join. I have encountered many over 32 years of shooting IHMSA that see all these confusing rules and they shake their heads and walk away.
One post but probably the smartest person here.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

Sorry for bring up this Old thread but I have a reason..

I was talking to the rules committee chairman last week and he confirmed the following:

Mainly because we cannot get a straight answer from Gary wrigley.

Because of this, Aftermarket Barrels/parts are allowed on the MOA and RPM(XL) pistols. Now the fun part is finding somebody to make them!
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

nutcase wrote:Sorry for bring up this Old thread but I have a reason..

I was talking to the rules committee chairman last week and he confirmed the following:

Because of this, Aftermarket Barrels/parts are allowed on the MOA and RPM(XL) pistols. Now the fun part is finding somebody to make them!
There IS a very good reason for no straight answer - guess!
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Member OGCA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

gibar wrote:

Hey, Gary
I would really like to know the reason, and I mean this sincerely. And I am sure there are lots of MOA owners that would like to know.
Do you think you could get Gary to come on the forum, and provide some answers? Or, if he won't , maybe he could relay the info through you.
I still think the MOA is one , if not the, most accurate production gun available, even though I have switched to BF
Thanks
melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
i26963
Class A

Post by i26963 »

It would also be helpful for the rules committee chairman to come on here and state IHMSA official ruling on this
MC
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

First, I doubt you will ever get the rules committee chairman (Dell Taylor) onto the forums as he hates electronics means of communication.

Basically, Dell explained to me they talked to Gary Wrigley and he will not give any indication If or When they will go back into production on the MOA or the XL. The way the rule states, is if factory parts are not available, the use of aftermarket parts are allowed which includes barrel replacement.

Since Gary's wife is Dana Rock (Jim Rock's daughter), I suspect the XL will probably go back into production before the MOA does. So, until he does bring them back into production, You can use aftermarket parts.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

i26963 wrote:
gibar wrote:

Hey, Gary
I would really like to know the reason, and I mean this sincerely. And I am sure there are lots of MOA owners that would like to know.
Do you think you could get Gary to come on the forum, and provide some answers? Or, if he won't , maybe he could relay the info through you.
I still think the MOA is one , if not the, most accurate production gun available, even though I have switched to BF
Thanks
melvin
Gary W. may be like the officers??? of ihmsa and will not respond on this site. Therefore I cannot comment further or betray my source.
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Member OGCA
United States of America
i26963
Class A

Post by i26963 »

Understand ,Gary
But I think the least he could do would be to keep people updated on the MOA website .
Thanks
Melvin
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Even if the MOA and/or XL came back into production, aftermarket barrels would still be legal. Case in point, TC has never gone out of business yet aftermarket barrels are still Production legal for TCs since the company decided not to produce 10" barrels anymore. Now we can nit-pick that TC dropped the 10" barrels so aftermarket 10" barrels are allowed but the fact remains that any aftermarket barrel should be allowed if it conforms to the original barrel specs. A barrel is a barrel is a barrel. In the case of MOA, Richard was using very expensive blanks for his guns so I doubt any aftermarket barrel that can be fitted to an MOA would exceed the quality of an original MOA barrel. If a person showed up with a Production "looking" MOA but it really had an aftermarket barrel, how would anyone know the difference???? Rules only make sense if they can be verified and enforced. This is a rule that would be hard to prove if the aftermarket barrel matched the original MOA barrel fit and finish. We are stumbling over our own rules these days.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Although throwing fuel on the fire------the addition of the Practical Hunter category should address allowing ant new shooter interested in IHMSA a chance to try it out. In a manner of speaking it is another form of U/ Any Sights. We should encourage a new shooter to bring whatever they have and if it isn't exactly per our rules, allow it as P.H. At least it gives some exposure to IHMSA. If they continue to shoot P H, let them. If they want to get into the various categories, help them. I still maintain that P H should be shot as a ''Non-Award'' category. If we elect to shoot it we do so as a ''Fun Entry''. P H entries should not be used as a ''warm up'' for an IHMSA entry. This may mean using a different gun in P H than you would for your IHMSA UAS entry. Or a different statement might say ''If you elect your UAS gun as a P H entry, the IHMSA UAS must be shot first. RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.