United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

re-barrel rules

Post by i26963 »

deleted
Melvin
Last edited by i26963 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
wheelgun7360

Re: re-barrel rules

Post by wheelgun7360 »

sounds like a plan my friend!! allen
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Check the rules, Section VI, 6, B). It says "The only main part, i.e. frame, cylinder, action or barrel that may be replaced is the barrel so
long as it conforms to A) above." Now if someone can confirm that MOA is out of business then I say find a competent smith who can duplicate your MOA barrel and it will be Production legal. Rich Mertz used quality barrels for his MOA, mostly Shilen I think. This rule change came about years ago to allow replacement parts to be made for the Seville and El Dorado revolvers if my memory serves me correctly. At least they were the guns mentioned as part of the reason allowing replacement parts to be made and still be Production legal.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

deleted
Last edited by i26963 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Richard Mertz originally made the MOA so the owner would have to come back to him to get a barrel swap. Later he made additional barrels fitted to the owners receiver and sold wrenches so the owner could swap the barrels themselves. Now this concept is identical to aftermarket barrels for TCs except the aftermarket barrel for the MOA would have to be fitted to the particular frame to ensure proper headspace. To me, this is just another step in ensuring the gun remains safe but would not prevent a current owner from going to a gunsmith and having him/her reproduce a factory contoured MOA barrel. Actually, Richard made so many different barrel contours for his Production legal barrels that just about any contour should be considered legal. Have you ever seen one of his bull barrels with the flutes and those were legal!!!! The TC name does not have to be on a Contender/Encore barrel to be legal so any gunsmith should be allowed to put their name on an "aftermarket" MOA barrel. If it were my gun, I would get it rebarreled as close as possible to the factory barrel and shoot it. I bet no one would even know the difference. IHMSA is a game and not a matter of life or death!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Melvin, and interested others; I agree. We should be able to have a barrel reproduced as long as it fits the original Production rule for length. At this point, (What Difference Does It Make)----we need to do what we can to maintain our competition.
As noted, TC owners can use any barrel. I see no need to wait on Gary Wrigley. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

Richard Pickering wrote:Melvin, and interested others; I agree. We should be able to have a barrel reproduced as long as it fits the original Production rule for length. At this point, (What Difference Does It Make)----we need to do what we can to maintain our competition.
As noted, TC owners can use any barrel. I see no need to wait on Gary Wrigley. rp
X-2
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
United States of America
gibar
Class C

Post by gibar »

From very reliable sources, Gary has barreled MOA's in the past so getting a blank would be the only hold up.

If I remember history correctly, when t/c went bust virgin valley barrels were allowed? So with aftermarket sights, non t/c barrels being allowed, permitting a smith to barrel a MOA should be allowed in an effort to keeping sillywet alive.

As for the new owner, quit cring and give him a chance. Setting up basically from scratch is not easy and takes time.

Never argue with an idiot: he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. I AM that idiot!
Join in 1978 IHMSA# 3109
NRA life
Former match director Miamisburg Sportsmen's Club
Former IHMSA Ohio State Director
Member OGCA
United States of America
ramslammer
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 29939

Post by ramslammer »

This post and all the follow up viewed by a non member is why many don't join. I have encountered many over 32 years of shooting IHMSA that see all these confusing rules and they shake their heads and walk away.
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Post by Proclaim »

ramslammer wrote:This post and all the follow up viewed by a non member is why many don't join. I have encountered many over 32 years of shooting IHMSA that see all these confusing rules and they shake their heads and walk away.
Exactly right! The rules need to be re-written to how IHMSA is done now and simplified to not intimidate new shooters. I nominate 'tonedaddy' to write a new rulebook to be submitted to the IHMSA Board of Directors.
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member