IHMSA Member#: 57528

no longer in production

Post by ole95 »

A couple post in the classify. section got me to thinking
in our sport
(just guessing)
I would say over 75% of the guns we use are no longer in production
the same or higher on the cal. we use
other than 22 RF I don't think any or many use fac. ammo with maybe fac. subsonic 300 blackout being a option
maybe 50% of the open sights we use no longer in production
I dare say there is not a store in a days drive that has anything other than bullets, primer, powder and brass that I could use in this sport
you don't see Walmart shoppers on the IHMSA fire line =)) =))
I'm bored 2 weeks till the ECC and updates slow from the INT. 8-}
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: no longer in production

Post by 35isit »

There are many on here been doing it longer than I have. In my 30 years I've seen very few use factory ammo. Conversly when I started you could find equipment at gunshops and gun shows.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

And, although intended to keep it from being a "cubic money" race, it seems the top "production" guns are now generally from boutique manufacturers. Freedom Arms comes to mind. I could built full custom rigs that cost less. Probably not better, but...

No idea what the remady would be!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I agree with jmoore's comments, however, there are lots of firearms that are still usable for IHMSA. If a person shooting steel is only interested in winning, then the FAs, Neisikas (sp?), Rampros, custom XPs, MOAs and other boutique guns are the way to go. If a person is more focused on just having fun then there are other options but not as many as the 80s and 90s. Even the popular TCs need to have older factory barrels or custom shop barrels to meet the current 10 3/4" production gun rules. Rugers are still competitive in Revolver classes but seldom win against FAs. It can be done but is much harder. I have owned some of the boutique guns and found I was having less fun with them as the other guns I had shot in the early days. I guess any type of competition fosters wanting to win but I still love IHMSA because it is still fun to hit steel targets at long distances. Our choices are becoming more limited and more costly. Too bad since that may cause some new shooters to rethink getting involved in IHMSA. Come to think of it, what would a tricked out 45 auto cost if a person wanted to get serious about one of the run and gun shooting sports. Maybe our guns aren't too expensive after all.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Craig, I agree it is nice to have fancy IHMSA toys but not really a requirement to have fun. Original post was about fewer options these days for IHMSA shooters and more expensive guns. All true too. Most fancy toy for me is now my Wichita 308 so I can shoot cast bullets. FYI, I sized the 6.5 bullets I cast yesterday and they are too long to work in my 260. Only 140 grainers and even spitzers but my Striker must have a short throat and 2/3s of the bullet is in the case with about 1/2 of the bullet below the neck. Not good for shooting cast. Just have to keep shooting them old jacketed bullets I guess.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

At our last shoot at CGC http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa/ almost half of the 22 shooters were new to IHMSA and ALL of them shot a Ruger Charger (new for about $350). You can replace the trigger on a Charger with one from http://www.hornetproducts.com/ for about $140 and every stock Charger I've ever shot was capible of a 40. The Georgia State UAS Small Bore Chanpion this year shot a Ruger Charger.
By the way -- It's a crying shame that the folks shooting those antique XP's & T/C's didn't do any better than they did at the International Championships =)) Did I see that an XP in 7BR won UHS?

Old95 - I'm like you - can't wait on Ohio and ECC. Richard & I are going to camp so I'm looking forward to those cool temps in the far north.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

Are Ruger Chargers available in non-takedown format currently? Every one I've seen recently for sale has been the pullapart model. Would make sense in rifle format for those long train/horseback trips, but the pistol is already short...
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Yes. Chargers are available in non-takedown. I just bought one and recommend the gun.