Goodbye Jackson !

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Goodbye Jackson !

Post by braud357 »

:( My brother Charlie and I made the drive up to Jackson, MS to attend the last IHMSA match to be held at Magnolia Rifle & Pistol Club. Match director Allen Gaskin arrived before we did, after working the night shift. He had to work again Sunday night, and told us that he did not intend to shoot today. We waited a while, and no one else showed up. Charlie and I looked at each other, and we told him that there was no way that we would make him set up the range for just us. We thanked him for his dedication and told him to go home and get some rest. I want to personally thank Allen for keeping the Jackson program afloat for the past several years - single-handedly. It is indeed a shame to lose a nice facility such as this, and especially is a sad day for us Louisiana shooters. This was the only IHMSA Big Bore range within 200 miles - now our closest range that offers big-bore is over 300 miles away in Texas. Charlie has been working with some NRA High Power silhouette shooters to establish a silhouette range in Louisiana, but we do not know anything definite - yet ! So Allen, I want to thank you for all of the selfless work you have done on our behalf. Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club hosted many monthly, state, and regional championship matches. If I remember correctly, the Region 2 Big-Bore championships were held there in 1983, 2003, 2009, and 2012 (please correct me if necessary). I made my first silhouette match "road trip" to Magnolia in 1980. It was a fine facility and I always shot well there. A big "thank-you" to all of the former match directors (sorry if I leave anyone out) Allen Gaskin, Terry Hairston, Tom Sutton, Rob Millette, Raymond Johnson, and Leo Myers. I would like to have been able to conclude our IHMSA matches there with a big match, but it was not to be. Hopefully we can find a facility that will allow us to shoot big-bore without having to drive 300+ miles. Magnolia IHMSA matches shall remain a fond memory -------------
Last edited by braud357 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Goodbye Jackson !

Post by high standard 40 »

I would also like to extend my heart felt thanks to Allen for all his hard work and efforts to keep the IHMSA silhouette matches afloat in Jackson. It's a shame to see us loose yet another range. It was a sad drive home today for sure.

Thanks Allen.......

Charlie
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Sad day indeed! Allen, thanks for your dedication to IHMSA and all you did to keep it going as long as you did.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

I shot my 1st. ever BB match there about 3 years ago. Also I got to shoot and enjoy the Reg.II I've meet a lot of nice people at Jackson
Even @ 3 hr. one way it was my home BB range. Now with it gone I have a 6hr. one way to shoot BB So now if I'm lucky 1 or 2 BB matches a year will be it for me
Allen thanks for helping me get started at this game and all you did to make it fun at Jackson
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

thanks for the kind words everybody !! it was a struggle at times to keep the silhouette program going at mrpc because of lack of local participation, but I really enjoyed it while it lasted. been match director for 8 years. I will remember the good times we all had here shooting steel. will have to travel now to be able to shoot which will limit the matches I get to attend. hope to see everyone at a match somewhere in the future. I would like to personally thank all the people that attended the matches and all the help I had setting targets during my tenure as match director. you know who you are. thanks allen
Last edited by wheelgun7360 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

Thank you Allen,
Sorry to hear this news. You have always been a wonderful host when attending a match at Magnolia. You were always kind and made us feel welcome. I did not have the privilege to meet your predecessor match directors. I am sure they had a great part in building Jackson IHMSA as well. Best wishes and thank you for your enduring commitment.
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club