What exactly are we paying for?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
TEFREY
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57239

What exactly are we paying for?

Post by TEFREY »

HAHA! Sucked in those trolls with the subject line, I hope. I really want to know how people break down their dues between the three "I"s": Internationals, IHMSA news, and operating expenses. Sorry, I'm better with numbers. Call it infrastructure if it makes you feel better. I feel my membership fees should be allocated as: $20.00 overhead (infrastructure), $15.00 Internationals, and $15.00 IHMSA news. These are the only stand-alone services IHMSA provides us, so our renewals should be reflective of the services provided. Would appreciate input-not a fan of bitching.
Nobody
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: What exactly are we paying for?

Post by high standard 40 »

I have to agree with tonedaddy. The Internationals should be self supporting. If that match can't support itself, then it should be discontinued. Let me say that I would genuinely hate to see it go. But from a practical standpoint, it has to be considered. We all cry out in anger at the way our DC politicians spend our country into a black hole, yet as an association, we are doing the very same thing. If you can't afford it, don't do it.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

If this problem were solved we would have the answer to your question of where is our money being spent. Interesting that you pose that question while I question where our financial reports are! X(

Again, the Internationals should be on their own general ledger with a simple line item on the corporate general ledger under income entitled "Internationals". It would be black if we made money or broke even or red if we lost money. We would KNOW what the match was generating income wise. Is clarity in financial reporting too much to ask? Obviously so as I was promised this change 5 years ago.

Please contact your Region Director and ask them to demand timely financial reporting and clarity in that report by stripping out the Internationals onto its own ledger as described above. I have emailed mine already & will talk with him at the West Coast.

Like Tonedaddy, i can't go to the Internationals & do not feel dues should support it.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

19 Turkeys wrote:If this problem were solved we would have the answer to your question of where is our money being spent. Interesting that you pose that question while I question where our financial reports are! X(

Again, the Internationals should be on their own general ledger with a simple line item on the corporate general ledger under income entitled "Internationals". It would be black if we made money or broke even or red if we lost money. We would KNOW what the match was generating income wise. Is clarity in financial reporting too much to ask? Obviously so as I was promised this change 5 years ago.

Please contact your Region Director and ask them to demand timely financial reporting and clarity in that report by stripping out the Internationals onto its own ledger as described above. I have emailed mine already & will talk with him at the West Coast.

Like Tonedaddy, i can't go to the Internationals & do not feel dues should support it.

+1 I agree with all, Internationals must be self supporting or discontinued. It would be a shame to lose. Steve can not nrun the WCC nor can I run the ECC at a loss every year.

Steve W.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
Curious
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 29677

Post by Curious »

Tefrey,

Dues are around 2/3rd's to 3/4's used for all the costs associated with publishing the IHMSA News, and all associated mail costs (both News and all other correspondence including your annual membership cards). IHMSA News has always been the largest single on-running expense that IHMSA has had. Now understand that I am guessing on exact figures, but it is my educated guess from dealing with the past figures. Then there are computers, printers and software needs of the organization. Plus all the printed forms (Such as score cards, membership cards and match director forms), as well as IHMSA Insurance needs for the Internationals. Without a view of the current books I am just estimating.

Other normal daily business expenses such as phone charges, any other electrical charges for day to day have probably been paid for by Lorene (Sub-contractor). One that many here don't seem to realize, or acknowledge!

The Internationals are, and unfortunately always have been somewhat subsidized to some extent from the general coffers.

Dues are only part of IHMSA income though! We still collect sanction fees, and advertising money for ads in the IHMSA news.

Also, there is also the old stand by! We, the so called concerned parties in the membership can still make a Charitable donation to "IHMSA General Fund". Possibly putting our money where our mouths are!

Curious
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

Correction to the previous post--the single largest expense of IHMSA has been for the previously paid HQ position. This position was recently taken over by Cindy Smith of Cheyenne, WY in April on a strictly VOLUNTEER basis. Cindy works a full time job, yet is doing this in her "spare" time, thus saving IHMSA $35,000 per year. If you do the quick math, she alone is going to make the difference between IHMSA losing $15,000-20,000 per year to IHMSA now clearing that much. I hope everybody out there kisses her butt for doing this, because it takes a ton of time on her part. A huge thanks goes out to Cindy Smith!
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

In most sports championships, only the BEST attend them. Why not have the Internationals
represented by say, 5 or 10 of the individual clubs best shooters, in each class and category?
Doing it this way, it would TRULY be a match of the very best shooters. Just a thought that
I know full well will be shot down real quick! :D
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

LOCKHART wrote:In most sports championships, only the BEST attend them. Why not have the Internationals
represented by say, 5 or 10 of the individual clubs best shooters, in each class and category?
Doing it this way, it would TRULY be a match of the very best shooters. Just a thought that
I know full well will be shot down real quick! :D
Sorry, but I just can't help myself! :D First, how do you define "BEST"? Is that International class only? Then, how do the expenses of these shooters get funded? Then, will you have enough entries to make the championship self sustaining financially?

If only the best attended the WCC (as an example) lots of shooters would not be able to experience five days of home-brew, BBQ, fish fry, & fellowship. :(( :(( :((

As always, the :ymdevil: is in the details!

Steve W. (Not close to the BEST but love a good beer!)
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

If that was the case I never would get to go :((
And if that was the case they would not get
The $333 that i'm sending them for this year :-?
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Well, then, I guess our world championships arent REALLY championships at all then, are they?
The way ours is set up now, anybody thats shot the minimum amount of entries and has the money,
is all of a sudden a championship shooter? :D That aint the way it works in any other sport, only
the best get to compete. Can you imagine driving up to a NASCAR race, and tellin em you want to
run,even if you had the right kinda car? Dont work like that! So, what we got is a championship
match that ANYONE can attend! :D Yeah, right!