What exactly are we paying for?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: What exactly are we paying for?

Post by 35isit »

That's why it should be called the Internationals instead of The World Championships. Mr Lockhart is correct, a world championship denotes the best are there. The French tried this in 1987, I was there for the argument in Tn. We are a group of shooters bound together by a code of rules and conduct. If someone can find the funding for a true world championship where only the best in each category shot against each other our membership may grow.

I have no argument one way or the other. I like things the way they are.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

I was just suggesting an idea, guys, not trying to rain on anyones
parade. Just a suggestion! May be why we dont have anymore
members than we do, too damn hide-bound to even entertain
a different idea. LIke when Remington brought out that bolt
production xp! Man, you woulda thought the sky had fallen, the
way the big shots in IHMSA acted! Well, guess we showed them, didnt
we? :)) THEY JUST QUIT BUILDING XP-100'S ALTOGETHER!
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

Well, I do appreciate all kinds of different ideas. Come to the World Championships (Internationals) and we can certainly have a great discussion about who should or should not be allowed to attend. Without the experience of as many championship matches as possible how is anyone expected to gain the skill, knowledge and experience to be a top competitor? I have seen quite a few (less than championship shooters) win a category. It so happened that they had the best entry of their life, or had the best conditions of the match, got lucky, or for any other reason. The fact is they won because at the big dance the stars aligned, they stepped up and walked away a champion. Would you honestly want to take that opportunity away from anyone? I watched a wonderful person have exactly that kind of an entry, in fact they beat me for the title and I stood right there and cheered them on from the turkeys on to the end, and then I shook their hand and gave them a hug. I could not have been more happy or proud. It was probably the only World Championship trophy that person will ever win in their whole life. I look forward to seeing them every year.
When I started going to the Internationals, I was perhaps the best shooter in our club, not in the state by any means, but I knew I could never win if I never went. I saved my money and I went, I won nothing but I think I placed second a couple of times, I wanted to win and I have come back every year since.
Perhaps the name should revert to the Internationals instead of the World Championships but it is just a name. Last year the Ironman trophy went to an Aussie, one of the nicest, most honorable and talented shooters in our sport. A great guy that shot great and won big. Now, the Aussies do have to qualify to make their national team but anyone could come on their own. The president selects our team USA to compete against the other international teams for the BB 4-gun trophy. But anyone at any time could win any trophy. I like that and hope it never changes.

Thank you

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

So when did the Internationals get renamed and why? I know it is only a name but the Internationals has a better sound to it. Just like Regionals and State matches sound right. Maybe we should call it the Geographically Diverse Ultimate Handgun Challenge or something else the pc people would approve of. Call it the Ints again!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
MetalCutter
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 35804

Post by MetalCutter »

I don't care what it's called, just go! I shot IHMSA for twelve years before going to my first Internationals. Wished I hadn't waited so long. I've shot some great scores, some good and a lot more terrible scores but always had a great time. Made a lot of great friends and met a lot of characters. Make plans to attend, shoot as many guns as you have, go to the meeting and the banquet. Be open minded and friendly and you'll be surprised how good a time you'll have. It's a lot more than just winning or losing.

John Dunn
No job is so simple that it cannot be done incorrectly.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

very well spoken Joe :ymapplause:
as far as comparing to Nascar (another dying sport) =; you may not be in the "chase" but you can still race in the race, you can still win the race and maybe even help determined who wins the "chase" and yes the winner of the race gets over shadowed by the winner of the "chase" much like the winner of "AA"
gets over shadowed by the winner of the "world champion" but you still won your class. 8-} :ymparty:
this will be my 1st. and more then likely only INT or "world championship" and like John said
I'm going to meet people enjoy friendships shoot my "AA" and "AAA" guns and Friday set back and watch the best in the world duke it out for "The World Championship" :-ss
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

I went to the 1997 internationals, in Ft. Stockton, and had a fairly good time, considering
the fact I was going thru a terrible divorce at the time, and after 34 years in this game,
I finally shot my FIRST 40 at New Braufels on June 8th of this year. I probably wont attend
another, tho. My job doesnt give me much flexibility these days. But, I certainly will
continue to shoot at my home range in New Braunfels, and at Lake Jackson. I am never
giving up on this sport.
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

Congratulations on your 1st 40. Hopefully they will come easily and much more regularly for you now. The Internationals is indeed a unique experience. I think this year will be my 9th and I have had a great time at them all.
Keep up the great spirit, never give up.
If we can somehow get 22 ammo back on the shelves and get gas prices down we should be able to start growing IHMSA again.
Be well, shoot often and shoot great.

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

Thanks, Uncle Joe! It was a long time coming, and I shot it with xp that
Buddy Rhoads built for my wife to shoot! :D
wheelgun7360