New thoughts to build IHMSA

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Re: New thoughts to build IHMSA

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

First match is definitely the most difficult. I know I was a little anxious. There are a few of my friends who I have tried to introduce to some sort of competitive shooting. I run a small 22 shoot at my home club where we shoot for meat prizes and quarters. One of my best friends told me that he didn't want people looking at him and laughing at how he shot. He is always talking about getting better and I told him that he needs to start somewhere. I also told him that the shooters who get watched are the really goods ones. Other shooters want to learn from that shooter, not the poor ones. Another friend was talking about shooting his 686 in field pistol. He asked me if that would be ok. I said yes. I also went on to say that the 2 matches I have been to at Tusco has many Contenders in 22 hornet competing in FP. Then, I went on to explain about the taco hold. He said well if that is what I have to have to compete, then I'm not going. I told him not to worry about anyone one else, but yourself. You cannot control what other shooters do, work at making YOU better and compete against yourself. Hopefully, some day I can bring some more shooters to a match, but right now I don't have a very good batting average. One positive, I was talking to my brother about going to the June shoot at Tusco and he said lets go. We just went back for the July match and plan on going back in August. I guess what my point is that it is difficult to recruit, but we all agree on that. However, I believe that involvement can grow exponentially.

Another obstacle is lack of involvement from the younger generation. At my home club, I am the youngest involved member at 30 years old. The next youngest is 45. I truly believe we need to utilize facebook and youtube. There have been posts about DVDs that were made at some shoots. Even DVDs are becoming extinct. Personally, I have not purchased or rented a DVD in at least a year. Many people have videos on demand at home or are watching Netflix at home or on the computer. Lets flood facebook and youtube. That is where people are. Likes on facebook and views on youtube can also grow exponentially.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

There are a lot of videos on YouTube. Gun Zorro loaded a bunch of them up. However, we do not have a Facebook page. Great idea. Who among us is a Facebook expert and would start the page. Potentially someone going to OKC who could post info about the match. The timing is perfect! Great idea! :ympeace: (*) (*) :-! :-!

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
marshall623
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57357

Post by marshall623 »

Guys Face Book is a great Idea , trust me as a Mechanical Contractor superintendent and having mostly 30 and under working for you if you put it on Face Book they will see it.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

I was thinking that nearly all of us have a favorite gun shop, or dealer
that we deal with. How about getting maps and other directions printed
up, showing how to get to your range, how much entry fees are, etc. I
did this back in the early 80's, and put them out at McBrides gun shop
in Austin, Texas, and we got some interested people that came out to
our next match. Just a thought.
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57229

Post by 686 »

all good points. the hard part will find a good videographer and a good shooter that knows the different positions. having this dine at a reginal or worse, the whrld championship would be bad. there are a lot of catagories and guns and positions too cover.
free is good but getting paid something would be better but the money would never come close too what it would be wourt just in time.
showing a new shooter he can compeite with stock every thing can be done with enyoyment. all this should start out with an outline , make sute each each stage is excipited so apples are apples.
this would be a long drawn out afaire. best of lock to IHMSA for any one taking this challang on.

GOOD LUCH Charles Nickolson from Florida

CHARLES@NICKOLSONS.COM
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

One thought on the videography is a college project. It would be nice if a range had a college nearby that offered videography as a major. Students are always looking for projects.
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

19 Turkeys wrote:There are a lot of videos on YouTube. Gun Zorro loaded a bunch of them up. However, we do not have a Facebook page. Great idea. Who among us is a Facebook expert and would start the page. Potentially someone going to OKC who could post info about the match. The timing is perfect! Great idea! :ympeace: (*) (*) :-! :-!

Steve W.

we do now!

START POSTING!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/535587513234402/
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

If any of you are fans of Brian Quaca, AKA Pigman and watched Aporkalypse 2014 last week on Sportsman channel Pigman asked for suggestions on next years Aporkalypse.

I messaged him to try the challenge of shooting pigs at 100+ meters with a pistol like IHMSA has done to steel pigs for 35years.

It would be cool if he tries it either during season 6 or next years Aporkalypse.
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!