Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: let it snow let it snow

Post by 260 Striker »

That is a heavy frost here in OH. Tonedaddy lives in the big city where it is warmer. We had -19 last night. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can shoot again. Even too cold to cast bullets in my garage in this type of weather.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

They called a state of emergency here in Louisiana - all of south Louisiana shut down in anticipation of the severe ice storm and snow. Well, GUESS WHAT - last Friday was worse than today has been ! Yes, I have some ice, but have not seen a single snowflake ! Lost a day of work (and wages) today. I can appreciate the over-reaction - a lot of things to consider in the big picture. But, so far here about 55 miles NW of New Orleans - the weatherman has egg on his face !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

Here was our most recent shoot...
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

My club, the Logan Handgun Association in Bellefontaine, OH used to shoot 11 months of the year and just took a break for December. We wouldn't have much of a turnout in January and February due to the lousy weather. Our club is the oldest silhouette club in OH and many of us are getting long in the tooth and the older we got, the colder we got so we now only shoot March through October. Used to shoot in November but our match weekend was always just before deer season and lots of people grumbled since we shut the range down and they wanted to sight in their slug guns. Anyway, seeing these targets setting in the snow brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for the great picture.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

[quote="260 Striker"]Used to shoot in November......./quote]

Lynn,

I shot only one November match at LHA (one was enough! :(( :)) ), and that was before covered firing lines were built (in fact I left before they were built), and I vividly remember snow piling up on my chest as I shot Creedmoor! Lots of fond memories of LHA, TUSCO & Elmore matches! I am still using the shooting box Charlie built for me many years ago. Another great one lost many years ago. Shot my first 40 at LHA with my MOA in Production with cast bullets. I remember Larry Harris coming up to me afterwards and saying he was watching and I was hitting them all over the target. He debated whether to come up & spot for me but decided against it as they were falling. The two worst targets were the first turkey and first ram. I still have that plaque hanging up.

This is my 30th year of shooting iHMSA with tons of memories of shooting around the US and two trips to Brazil.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
mugs
Spotter

Post by mugs »

Here in Paradise it was 36 this morning going to 63 today. :) :)
Mugs
Shoot only cast Boolits
Member since 1979 #5940
Former Match Director Anchor Rams
Former Match Director Phoenix Silhouette
Former Alaska State Director
NRA Life
IHMSA Life
Cast Bullet 80x80 1983
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

We had light snow in the Atlanta area. What was on the roads was quickly mashed into ice which caused the roads to quickly become impassible. It doesn't take much ice on a few hills to create a mess. The Interstates were clogged with trucks that couldn't move. It wont clear 30 deg today so melting isn't much of an option without some sun radiation or chemical help on the roads.
Around here it historically depends on the conditions. A degree plus or minus means snow or freezing rain. A bit of difference in storm trajectory means trouble or ''we were spared''. At times south Georgia will get snow and the Atlanta area gets none. When we get it we usually have a mess for a day or two. In 2011 we had snow mashed into an inch or better of ice and the temps stayed low so it didn't melt off for about five days.
I'm glad to hear it isn't only me who notices the cold sooner than in years past. We should get to 60 on Saturday. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I don't like snow as much as I did when I was younger (more stupid then) but I feel for all of you who live in TN or further south. You usually have to put up with ice and that is much worse than snow. I guess we all are getting bad cases of cabin fever and need to get outside and shoot some steel. Steve was one of our strongest supporters at our club and we hated to see him leave but our loss is OR's gain. Shooting in cold, snowy weather tested your ability to concentrate that's for sure. Couldn't feel your trigger finger after the first bank of targets. I wonder if we built a HUGE snow fence on the US/Canada border if that would stop all the snow!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

yep that 's the big problem is a layer of ice under the snow which is a common problem (with this kinda weather) police report most wreck cause by drivers from up north that know how to drive in this stuff LOL =)) :))

Just finished A little walk-about in the woods behind my house it really felt good to get out and get fresh air But I can tell I'm still not up to speed but getting there a little every day. the warden was not happy with me getting out (18 deg.) :-@ %-(
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA