what ya doing new?

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: what ya doing new?

Post by jmoore »

Have recently gotten a Contender again, but haven't yet shot it in a match. Came with a 14" 7-30 Waters barrel, so that's new for me as well. Going to run cast bullets in it.
And, so, Big Bore, which will be new as well!
UGLY furniture, but the trigger reach seems the best to date of any Contender I've had, so maybe this one will stick around for a while. Came with the scope mount, but may go to irons after testing is further along.

On a more incrementally new front, have swapped powders in the .44s from WW231 and similar to RL7 and IMR4198. Both seem to be an improvement. And having stared at jcunclejoe's photo in a paper IHMSA newspaper for some time, decided to try the high rise mount on one of the .44s. Tied my highest FPAS score ever on it's second outing, so that's promising as well!

Also trying Taco Hold some this year. Not so happy with it, yet.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Jonathan, I think you will like that 7X30 with cast bullets. Looks like you are using the RCBS 145 bullet and that is a very accurate 7mm design. I like the Smith with the high rise. Don't see many wheel guns with high rise mounts but no reason why it shouldn't work. Good luck with both setups and let us all know how your adventure into big bore works out.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Post by dan in mi »

I don't know about something "new," but I am hoping to get out try something old. Haven't knocked over an steel since about 2006.

I did pick up a Super Mag last fall so that would be new.
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

I'd like to shoot 40 in 4 classes using the same pistol on the same day. :ymdaydream: =))
- BB U/UAS/UH/UASH with the 30BR Savage
- SB U/UAS/UF/UASF with the same Ruger Charger
IKE
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 48226

Post by IKE »

[quote="dan in mi"]I don't know about something "new," but I am hoping to get out try something old. Haven't knocked over an steel since about 2006.

I know what you mean Dan......I haven't shot a match in over eight years (Sept. 2007) and I hope to change that this season.
IHMSA # 48226.
Match Dir. Tri-City Gun Club 2000-2004.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
Vietnam veteran.