Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Coogs
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: What's your handle mean?

Post by Coogs »

Coogs, short for Coogan, my last name. Picked it up in Fraternity @ College.
User avatar United States of America
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

Derwood!
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
FartsInPublic
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57708

Post by FartsInPublic »

Hah! There's a reason I always get given the downwind position to shoot from.

I don't think you guys know me...I shoot in Hawaii with my Heinz 57 Rimfire pistol.

Joined IHMSA last year but didn't get on these forums till just recently. I looked at RF.C's Silhouette section some, and Steel Chickens too, and got to know one or two IHMSA members from there. That may be where my name sounds familiar.

The real inspiration for the handle, despite my artisanal flatulence, is actually my dad. He's of the age where, well, some of you know...he just rips, wherever, whenever. LOL

One day I hope to make it to a mainland match, but for now, I have to be content with our seaside range.

Aloha from Hawaii...

pat
FartsInPublic
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57708

Post by FartsInPublic »

(Thanks for fixing the pic, Proclaim :) )
ole95 wrote:Probably shoots flop with a brake :-?
Flop? Nah, no floppy shooting for me...

I started shooting at our local IHMSA range in late 2013 with my Savage 22 rifle. Yup...rifle. I joined the monthly match and when they asked what I have, I said "I have this 22 rifle that I just bought..." so they paired me up with a guy and he walked me through the commands and the match. It was fun so I kept going back, with my rifle.

Late last year I wanted to try IHMSA smallbore handgun, but there aren't many available. So I bought a PWS Summit T3 "Receiver Only" and registered it here as a frame-only, similar to a T/C (Hawaii has gun registration laws AND an Assault Pistol ban, which is based on checking off any three items on a list of qualifications--the Ruger Charger falls afoul of the ban for having a magazine outside the pistol grip, being too heavy, semi-auto, etc.) anyway, I found the PWS T3 which has a toggle-agtion, like a Biathlon, and is designed to work in the 10/22 ecosystem. Perfect! it is bolt-action, so it isn't defined as an Assault Pistol here, and I can buy the parts as I can afford them. I put on a Kidd 10" barrel, a Kidd two-stage trigger and a Charger stock from Boyds. A club member tossed me an old 2-6x scope he wasn't using anymore and away I went. Sure is nose-heavy, but I shoot it semi-dead-frog in a position where I'm on my back except my right leg is laying flat across the ground and my thigh supports the fore-end. Works for me.

I've shot a few smallbore matches with my Heinz-57 creation, and typically do ok. This past month I decided to try 1/5 scale in a match and shot a 34/40 so I wasn't too put out. I got 37/40 in the larger targets.

Been saving up for a full bore and finally found one (I don't reload--more on what that means for me lower down). My wife and kids were out of town over the summer, so what do I do? Browse around looking for a full bore silhouette gun that I can afford. I've wanted a mid-grip bolt pistol, but they all seem to be in oddball chambering like Fireball or who knows what... try finding that on the shelves here. I would have more luck with 22 ammo in stock. Since I don't have a reloading setup, if I bought a gun chambered in a "you must reload" cartridge size, the barrier to entry was easily 2x as high. Not only would i need to buy the handgun, but I'd need to buy all the reloading stuff too, and more stuff to put in the reloading equipment to actually make the rounds, etc... soooo...I bough the one I saw a few weeks back since it was in .308. Oh well, I know it isn't 6BR or 7BR, but to me it is academic. I can buy ammo to put in it. (I do have some saved up good brass from my 308 rifle that I will hand to a trusted club member to make me some "light loads" for the infield.

If anyone has light 308 load recipes that won't punch holes through the chickens and pigs, I'm all ears.

So in a nutshell, that's how I got here...

Here is our September scoreboard. Mighty fancy it ain't but damn the burgers off the grill are delicious. Shoot the match and the $5 match fee covers lunch too. Can't beat that!
Attachments
Hawaii September 2015 Match
Hawaii September 2015 Match
Hawaii 2015 September Match.JPG (99.57 KiB) Viewed 43755 times
Last edited by FartsInPublic on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Post by Proclaim »

sorry, it was the right way up in my phone. :( )

Fixed the picture for you :-bd
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
SGanz
Target Setter

Post by SGanz »

[quote="aggshooter"]In my first year of shooting, Ed Ganz was coaxing me into shooting the state match. When I told him I didn't know which event to enter, Ed said "Shoot them all, you never know when you're going to get hot!" So I started shooting all the events, back then BB & SB only had 4 each. Shooting a good aggregate was personally satisfying, so I focused on the all-around scores. So the email address and handle seemed to fit.
I hope this isn't strange but I think you are talking about my dad he shoot at sycmore valley gun club in bloomington Indiana
b1buddy
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 11061

Post by b1buddy »

Well, better late than never doing this one!
B1Buddy = my nickname is Buddy. Way back when I first started playing on the net and having to log in to just about any where, Buddy was always taken and so was bbuddy. So I tried the b1buddy thinking of how I liked and read about WWII airplanes and b1bombers, so b1buddy sounded good to me. It stuck. So I kept using it.

So far, I think I am b1buddy on all gun forums that I participate in. I think!!
Old age does play tricks with us old folks at times!!!
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Started using this handle when I was hanging around the Georgia Tech sports forum. I'm a Tech man and a nuclear engineer. So, all the nerds there got it. I can say nerd because I'm a nerd, too. :)
United States of America
Redleg11B
Target Setter

Post by Redleg11B »

My handle is a combination of the Artillery nickname based on historic uniforms and the Infantry MOS in the Army. I spent a few years doing both.