questions...

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
Ccnati
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

questions...

Post by Ccnati »

Due to my MASSIVE lack of knowledge, i have a question, and probably many more to come. I want to shoot 9mm or .40 or .45acp, but dont know if FP targets are set at half the distance due to their being half the size. also would 45lc work for BB? anyway, if FP is at half distance i will most likely be purchasing either a 9mm 1911 with adjustable sights, or a 9mm GLOCK. advice on the gun would be appreciated, as i want a gun that i can compete with but that will also be a fun semiauto to just shoot. Thanks,

Caleb
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: questions...

Post by 19 Turkeys »

FP targets are set to 100 yards and the discipline is shot standing only. The original intent of FP was to simulate hunting thus the target size/distance. Any of the pistols you mentioned (9mm, 40 or 45 ACP) will work.

Regarding the 45 LC in Big Bore, it is an excellent (but often overlooked) choice. A friend of mine in Ohio campaigned one for many years in Big Bore.

Yours,

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Ccnati
Target Setter

Post by Ccnati »

Thanks for the help, I think I've decided on FP, because I kinda want a Glock, so FP seems right. I'm also curious, how young do shooters in your area start? I almost feel too young for the larger caliber competitions at 14, but I fancy myself proficient with a handgun, and this sounded FUN, so...
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

14 is certainly old enough but of course at that age you cannot legally buy a handgun.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Post by Proclaim »

Ccnati, I'm thrilled that you want to start shooting in IHMSA competitions. This organization needs a huge influx of young people like yourself. Personally if I lived in your area I'd be doing everything I could to help you get started and to be successful. Hopefully you will find that the majority of IHMSA shooters are more than willing to help if approached respectfully.
Have fun! Keep shooting!
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
Ccnati
Target Setter

Post by Ccnati »

I realize I can't purchase, but my dad has said he would by whatever so long as I came up with the cash... I am leaning towards the Glock 34 over the 17 due I the longer barrel and adjustable sights. However I have heard that the adjustable a on te 34 are crap, and was wondering if I got better sights for it would that take the gun out of production class? I know if I did what a friend of mine did it wouldn't, but he put a Trijicon red dot sight o his... I would be putting adjustable upen sights just from a different manufacturer, not mad by Glock, but made for Glock pistols. Would that be legal or not? I may start before, as my dad has a Ruger Mk I all I'd have to do is put a left handed grip on it and it would be good. It's as accurate or more accurate than any .22 rifle we have... However it was an army trainer (has U.S. stamps on reciever) would that take it out of production class? It is internally and externally the same as any Mk I but wasn't technically available to the masses, just the army.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I'm taking a guess here by your handle that you may live in Ohio. I am a director at the Logan Handgun Association and we hold matches just north of Bellefontaine, Ohio in Logan county. We will be having a match this Saturday and would love to have you and your Dad at our match. If you wanted to try FP, I have many handguns that you could use to see if you like our sport. I will warn you now that silhouette shooting is very addictive. Sorry, don't have a Glock for you to try but have many other guns you are welcome to shoot. If interested, please email me at shultza@watchtv.net and we can discuss what gun you would like to try. Lynn Shultz
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Ccnati
Target Setter

Post by Ccnati »

Actually my handle has nothing to do with location. I live in Georgia. Thank you for the offer though... I was however hoping to be in contact with someone going to the match in Georgia on Saturday. I was thinking about going just to watch, or even bring the .22...
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

Ccnati,

You did not indicate where in Georgia you live; we have two IHMSA ranges in Georgia....Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville, GA shoots SB, FP, 5th Scale & AP [~ 40 miles northwest of ATL] and Little River Gun Club in Lincolnton, GA shoots BB, HS, SB & FP [~ 40 miles northwest of Augusta, GA]. I'm one of the Match Directors at Little River Gun Club.......we have a match scheduled for Sat. 5/27. We would love to have you and your dad drop in and shoot a little with us. If you require range directions, please contact me at; rleewalker@knology.net

Also, you may visit our Georgia IHMSA website at: http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper
xterrettx
Target Painter

Post by xterrettx »

I am fairly new (and young) to this sport as well but after a season of ihmsa my advise is go a few matches before buying anything. If this is the game for you, you will want something that plays it well. In my experience guys are incredibly open you trying there guns and loads. I have learned a lot of what I like and don't like from shooting al different configurations. Also, ask why some one prefers a particular setup. Take the mark I and try it.

Also someone in the BB Forum told you to check out a ruger SBH. I have one and very much enjoy it. With upgraded sights and the right load it seems to have potential.

Good luck