Eyeglasses

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Eyeglasses

Post by 35isit »

We have to wear them. I use Decot Hy Wyd. Have used them for about 20 years now. I had cataract surgery about 4 years ago. They fitted me up with the new lenses I needed for silhouette and trap. Now 4 years later eyes are about the same except my dominate eye needs a little help because of eye strain. So I order a new set of lenses. Anyone familiar with their setup knows they simply slip in. Anyways the first set was sent to me via Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex claims to have delivered them but they didn't. I had someone home waiting for them and my guard dog didn't try to attack. Without hesitation Decot made me a second set and sent them to me. This time via USPS. I got this set 4/8/21. Thank you Decot Hy Wyd for all you do for the shooting sports. That's why I only use Decot. They are a first class company. If you need new shooting glasses I strongly recommend you look at their line of products.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Eyeglasses

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Good to know
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

Greg,
I had cataract surgery close to the same time you did and I too opted for the "distance" lens. It made a huge difference in my left eye (20/15!) but 20/40 was the best I could get in my aiming eye due to astigmatism. Yes, I've trying shooting "cross-eyed" with my left but I've had no luck with peep sights. I have no problems at all with scopes, just peeps. The only problem with those that are shooting with corrective lenses, in the flop position, is that with the head position as it is, one is looking thru the upper corner of the lens and not the sweet spot in the center where the correction is ground and as such, regular glasses are pretty much useless. Astigmatism correction requires the lens to be set in a specific angle from the horizontal. I've not had the opportunity to talk one-on-one with a lens grinder who knows his stuff to try and find out if it is at all possible to grind the correction off-center.
My solution, which is still a work-in-progress, is a set of Knobloch frames that have the bridge offset to the left which in turn allows for one of their round lens holders to be positioned in such a manner that one is looking thru the center of the corrective lens when shooting flop. I say "in-progress" because the lens grinder did a crappy job of getting my prescription right. He said he wasn't used to working with small round lenses. Got half my money back anyway. Now to find a good optician. If anyone out there should know of one, please speak up.
There is another solution, but one that will require a rule mod. Currently, in the open sight classes, there can be no optical device(s) attached to the gun.
Never mind the fact that if that same lens is moved off of the gun a half and inch and attached to you head it then becomes legal. I'm speaking of non-magnifying lenses of course. Anschutz makes a lens holder (#9450) that works with adjustable irises and is a great solution for those of us with eye issues. I'm thinking seriously of writing a proposal for a rule change that would allow such a device. As of 2017, this item is legal for ISSF shooting.
I suspect a massive number of shooters have given up the game due to vision problems. And let's face it, those of us that are still shooting are of "advanced" age. I think that allowing all the fair leeway possible might keep a lot of us going and could possibly bring back some that have given up.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Charles, checkout their website. They grind lenses with the "sweet spot" in the upper corner for shooting handguns. They will talk to you on the phone to make sure you get what you need. I bought mine for trap shooting and their attention to my needs helped me immensely.

This is the email I got in reply to my thanks to them.

I am glad we were able to remedy the situation and get you your lenses. Thank you for the glowing testimonial on both forums. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your shooting eyewear needs in the future.

Regards,

Robert L. Lewis

Managing Partner, V.P. of Marketing,

Product development, &

Licensed Optician

1-800-528-1901

Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses

7830 E Redfiled Rd.

Ste. 11 & 12

Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.