New Foundations for Gainesville, GA Smallbore Targets

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

New Foundations for Gainesville, GA Smallbore Targets

Post by jmoore »

Ron and Sherri went and bought a load of cross ties along with assorted hardware in order to revitalize the Smallbore banks at Cherokee Gun Club last weekend. So, Sunday, they, Larry D. and I commenced to removing the metal portion of the cord reset banks and then fighting the ants, roaches and lone mouse for their decaying homes! The left bank was well sunken, but surprisingly well nailed together even after all this time. Sledgehammer, crow bar and chainsaw were finally retired for shovel, chain and truck to pull the lower base and feet from the ground. The right bank surrendered to a maul and Mk.I back muscles.

Ron displayed quite the attention to detail and also deftness with the chainsaw when cutting the new timber to length. Some bother was had with the non-uniformity of thickness of the ties, though. We also had quite the time getting everything leveled just so. But after all the shovel work, drilling, nailing BIG nails and final level checks the target frames were bolted in place quite nicely and without drama.

Reckon we were hard at it from 0830 to 1300hrs, (Thirty minutes after the range opened!)

Hopefully they'll be used for quite some time!

Might even have to shoot some more Smallbore myself.

Next time y'all shoot at CGC, be sure to thank the Dixons for their dedication! I think Larry and myself are just happy to have a place to shoot.

:ymapplause:
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Re: New Foundations for Gainesville, GA Smallbore Targets

Post by captainjohn »

Thanks for taking the time to keep it going. We should all be proud of our clubs,thankful we still have a place to shoot.Sounds like a job well done.
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Sounds like a lot of hard work done by a handful of people. Many clubs around the country have few members but are keeping IHMSA alive for all of us. The gang at Cherokee is proof of that.
We are down to five members in our local club but do get a few other people to pitch in on work days so we may be one of the more fortunate clubs when working on our range. Great job to the folks at Cherokee and I hope you have a great shooting season using your updated targets.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Somehow I neglected to mention it was just the Ram banks! Lest y'all think we were some sort of super human rebuild squad. ;) b-(

Ant bites are festering nicely today.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Still Superman and Superwoman as far as I am concerned!!! Our club was started in 1979 and always just had a handful of people to keep it going. Also had some help on match days from the shooters so to help us out all these years. Many of us are getting a little "long in the tooth" so gets a little more difficult each new year. Ram banks are the biggest, heaviest so good to get them out of the way first. We have to fight wasps sometimes so can appreciate tackling ants too.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Ron and Sherrie along with the whole CGC bunch do a great job of keep things running
My poor shooting is the main reason their were in bad shape
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

The Cherokee GC has a good many members. Most of which don't care about Metallic Silhouette. They will do their work hours painting targets but little else on the Silhouette range. The bulk of the labor is done by non club members. Ones who show up to shoot IHMSA. Thanks to those who were able to get out and help Ron. He is a very versatile guy, but he cant do it all alone. For those who have avoided a bit of Pneumonia this year: try to avoid it. And, there are lots of us who have decorated the berms for several years. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

ole95 wrote:Ron and Sherrie along with the whole CGC bunch do a great job of keep things running
My poor shooting is the main reason their were in bad shape
Your .22LR bullets seem to have mostly morphed into .40 and .45 BPCR rifle bullets! Along with .45 ACP slugs. Ron took home some of the ties to mine the lead out of them.