Fun with the 41!

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Fun with the 41!

Post by BLACKBEAR »

The return to the Brushy Creek Ranch.

After a three year shut down I obtained permission for our group of hunters to return to the ranch. Permission, Permits, preparation and we set off for the 2016 Wyoming antelope hunt.

Arriving Thursday evening near dark we set up three tents and two shade covers in a meadow surrounded by old cotton wood trees. Wind and rain ended any chance of a warm meal and we settled for sandwiches and a cold drink.

Friday prior to the hunt, We checked into the ranch house, had a pleasant meeting with Mr Blalock, paid our trespass fees and were reminded of some of the rules. Don't shoot toward the ranch house, because we shoot back. Also any shots of more than two per animal might incur a lead recovery fee!

Opening morning finds Bill Jr, Me, Owen and Jeromy in the Rhino slogging out through the mud. As we near the main road we spot the herd we tried not to disturb the day before. Well within rifle range The shooters are reluctant to end the hunt in the first few minutes.

I suggest we move closer and see what happens. The herd buck is more concerned with keeping his lady friends in check than the old man with a FA 41. Jr says “get ready". I slide the pistol out of the case and assume the creedmore position on the muddy ground. Jr calls the range and I attempt to find the moving buck in the Leopold scope. A quartering across away shot triggers my shoot now reflex. A hit but he is still up. I continue firing with him still on his feet. The sick buck gives me time to pop out the empties and put in five fresh rounds.

He now makes it across the road and the Model 83 is brought to bear. The high plains drifter lays in the sage and I kneel at his side as he takes his last breath. My first big game kill with a revolver. I have taken many antelope with the flat shooting unlimited pistols but this is my first with moderate velocity 41 Magnum.

Pictures, field dressing and the hunt continues. Jr fills his tag a little later and we return to the hanging tree for skinning and washing. Off we go again in a lite rain, headed for the heifer pasture. On the way we spot three bucks and a few does bedded on a hill side. We put forward and I call the range at 242 yards. Gordo has now joined us and is out of the rig and on his crossed sticks. Jr directs him to the biggest buck and the 270 brings the game to and end. Same story, pictures, Gory Gordo and his classic gut pile photo.

Off again, we are now in the Heifer pasture. Old cotton wood trees surround the two track. Mule deer and white tails appear as we go through the "petting zoo."

"Stop, stop" I yell "Back up" A buck with the classic heart shaped horns has reviled him self and then disappears in to the trees.

Jr and Owen quickly head out and I follow the orange hats as the move through the trees and disappear. Some time later we hear the boom of Owens 243. Shortly Owen appears and drives the Rhino to the fallen beast. Truly a fine antelope with near 15" horns and a perfect cape.

Sunday finds us enjoying Jeromys cooking and we go on a sight seeing trip to the “Duck Creek” area of the ranch. Many small bucks are spotted but nothing to top Saturdays animals.

Monday is moving day and the 500 miles trip home to the valley of salt.

Tuesday is visit the taxidermy morning and then the crew teams up to cut up the critters and get them in the freezer. The timing is perfect as Wednesday is garbage day and the remains are gone.

A great adventure, we are invited to return to the ranch and a bit of fun is poked at me for firing all the allotted ammo in bagging my buck.

Bill
United States of America
owenfj
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57651

Re: Fun with the 41!

Post by owenfj »

Great story!
IHMSA #57651
User avatar United States of America
Jayaretea
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 47330

Post by Jayaretea »

Always enjoy your stories BLACKBEAR.
Utah State Director
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Post by BLACKBEAR »

:ymblushing: Thank you Jerry for the compliment. I did have a great time with the 41 blasting PH animals and sending the field pistol chickens flying. I just polished a coffee can full of 41 brass. The Dillion 650 makes it easy to turn out pistol ammo. Hope to see you back in Idaho Falls in the spring.

Bill