Need target source

The place to shoot the breeze on all things IHMSA
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Need target source

Post by benenglish »

I apologize if this info is already somewhere on the forum; I've searched but been unable to find it.

I'd like to purchase two 1/2-scale rams of AR500 steel. Swingers without feet are preferred; I already have steel for the feet.

The targets must be at least 1/2" thick. 3/4" is preferred.

After a good deal of looking online, I've found plenty of places that stock these targets in 3/8" thickness but no one who stocks them any thicker. If I need to place a special order I've already selected a vendor. However, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows who might have the targets in stock before I went ahead with placing a custom order.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben Owens
IHMSA 4925L
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Need target source

Post by aggshooter »

Our 1/2 scale rams are 3/8 thick, they've held up pretty well. I can see maybe going to half inch, but pretty sure you'll have to custom order anything above 3/8. We also have a ram swinger that is 3/4' thick, it does not ring when you hit it. Just curious, why do you feel you need a 3/4" thick target?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
benenglish
Target Painter

Post by benenglish »

Why thicker? Some friends and I are experimenting with a different course of fire, one that concentrates on power. Our goal is to have a target that will usually but not always fall when hit with a .500 S&W 700-grain load at 50 meters. Based on my calculations, a 1/2" or thicker ram will be needed to get the weight high enough. Then it's a matter of experimenting with the size of the feet and how to set them before we can decide on a final configuration.

Thanks for the reply, btw. I had just about convinced myself that no one keeps 1/2 scale rams of 1/2" thickness in stock. Your post seems to confirm that. In any case, there are places, I'm sure, that will be happy to take my money to do something custom. Recommendations in that regard would be welcome, too.

Thanks again.

Ben
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

Post by xp-100 »

Ben, I would give Calvin Byers a call with Quality Targets. He has always given me great and fast service. :)
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
benenglish
Target Painter

Post by benenglish »

xp-100 wrote:Ben, I would give Calvin Byers a call with Quality Targets. He has always given me great and fast service. :)
Funny you should recommend Quality Targets. I dug into their web site and they offer 1/2 scale targets that are 1/2" thick. All I have to do is see if they'll attach larger feet for me. If not, I can buy their normal target and modify it locally.

Thanks so much for pointing out someone who can most likely accomplish exactly what I need. I'll call him tomorrow.
Last edited by benenglish on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

Post by xp-100 »

I am glad that I could help you. Calvin is a great guy to do business with. ;)
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
benenglish
Target Painter

Post by benenglish »

xp-100 wrote:Calvin is a great guy to do business with.
That is definitely the impression I got. Thanks, again.