Cindy Smith Embezzlement case

Whats new in IHMSA
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Cindy Smith Embezzlement case

Post by jcunclejoe »

Hello, this is Joe Cullison with an update on the Cindy Smith embezzlement case.

So far this month there was no check from the Cheyenne DA's office. Tina Cullison called the Cheyenne court this week to see why and found out that Cindy Smith has finished paying the court ordered amount of restitution.

I want everyone to realize how rare this is, to actually get restitution in an embezzlement case. We owe Tina a huge debt of gratitude for making the case against Cindy and handing the Cheyenne DA a slam dunk prosecution. Tina invested many months compiling the bank records and documenting how and where the money went. She then had to assemble the case and provide it to the Cheyenne DA along with all of the supporting documentation.

The repayment is over and Tina no longer has to receive and deposit the checks each month.

IHMSA has received the full amount of the court ordered restitution.

Thank you
Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
United States of America
wheelgun7360
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 31160

Re: Cindy Smith Embezzlement case

Post by wheelgun7360 »

I wish to personally thank Tina for all the hours that she put in on the Cindy Smith case!! I am sure everyone that belongs to IHMSA feels the same way!! Thanks Tina for all you have done :ymhug: :-bd ^:)^
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Post by captainjohn »

Thanks for the update Joe, and again a huge thank you to Tina for the countless hours you have devoted to IHMSA over the years in helping to get some of our money back!
Thanks Tina,my hats off to you with much gratitude and appreciation! JR
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

Thank you Joe for giving us the status of the case.
Your story makes it sound like Tina was still expecting to be receiving more money, and the zero balance was a surprise.
With all of Tina's skills, it is hard to imagine Tina lost track of the remaining balance.
Was there something you can add to the story to clarify that?

Now,
a VERY BIG thank you is owed to Tina Cullison for making this happen!
This organization needs to know, down to the last member, how fortunate we are to have Tina, for her to do all the work for the last couple of years on this, allowing the members to benefit from it, as it helped toward keeping IHMSA financially above water.

I am still amazed that our former treasurer could charge hundreds of personal purchases to our account, and then expect us all to except her explanation that is was a simple (singular) mistake. I know I couldn't have listened to all of the excuses and watched all the dodging of responsibility of the Smiths day after day as Tina had to.
Last edited by forest341 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

forest341 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:12 am Thank you Joe for giving us the status of the case.
Your story makes it sound like Tina was still expecting to be receiving more money, and the zero balance was a surprise.
With all of Tina's skills, it is hard to imagine Tina lost track of the remaining balance.
Was there something you can add to the story to clarify that?

Now,
a VERY BIG thank you is owed to Tina Cullison for making this happen!
This organization needs to know, down to the last member, how fortunate we are to have Tina, for her to do all the work for the last couple of years on this, allowing the members to benefit from it, as it helped toward keeping IHMSA financially above water.

I am still amazed that our former president could charge hundreds of personal purchases to our account, and then expect us all to except her explanation that is was a simple (singular) mistake. I know I couldn't have listened to all of the excuses and watched all the dodging of responsibility of the Smiths day after day as Tina had to.
Tina did an amazing job in putting all this together and recovering the most money that we could get returned to us. I don't know anyone else who would've stayed the course and accomplished this. We all owe her a huge debt of gratitude.
Tina didn't "lose track" of anything. As acting treasurer, I have (Doug has, we have, IHMSA has, insert your pronoun here) a record of each payment on our bank account including date and amount. There was an unexpected large payment near the end of 2022 that paid off the debt over a year ahead of the anticipated final payment. I should've confirmed the payment total immediately, but didn't. Tina took the reins (again, my thanks to her) and contacted the court to confirm full payment according to their records.

With this ugly mess behind us, I'm looking forward to getting on with the routine business of our organization. Doug remains in contact with Adams Brown Accounting to continue walking us thru our former tax problems. The IRS doesn't seem to have good internal communication with itself and sometimes loses track of their own rulings and agreements.
For me, it means getting ready to host you folks here in Terre Haute at our 2023 IHMSA Championships. Hope to see you all here in July!!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

One small correction to Forest' post;

Cindy Smith was not the President. Her position was treasurer.