United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Practical Hunter Proposal

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

NEW PRACTICAL HUNTER PROPOSAL

SUBMITTED BY JIM FIELDS – Region IV Director – 405-203-1268 – Date – 2-23-20

As most board members know my proposal for red dot sights, which I submitted in 2017, was allowed to expire w/o being voted on allowing red dot sights on revolvers & production guns.
Reason for this proposal was to level the playing field for older shooters, who can no longer compete against much younger shooters with an iron sight set-up & also increasing entries in both categories. Most all shooting disciplines across the world have adopted red dot sights over the past several years.
There’s an old saying, “If you don’t change with the times you are going to die on the vine”
My reasoning behind this again, was to bring back some older shooters who have quit our fantastic sport over the past few years, plus several of us who are now struggling with eye problems & increase the entries in both production & revolver classes, which have steadily declined over the past several years, & most all of us will agree with that.
So, here is my proposal, I know, & I’m well aware I will catch some flack about increasing a couple more classes, but here is.

Add Two Practical Hunter revolver classes - PH .22 & PH Long Range BB, allowing red dot sights in both classes. (1) Weight limits not to exceed four pounds six ounces. (2) Overall length same as production,18 inches. (3) Red dot sights, with a power limit not to exceed 1 ½ power, which is what most manufacturers use. Iron sight shooters may compete in these two new classes if they so desire.
Some of you may or may not be aware of this, but the Practical Hunter category was a direct result of a proposal I made several years ago & it is one of the main reasons that Oklahoma City Gun Club is averaging over 60 entries per monthly matches & that number will only increase at our club as well as other clubs across the country with the addition of these two new revolver classes, no doubt in my mind whatsoever. The PH category has literally exploded at OKC over the past two years.

UPDATE: The IHMSA Board would like competitors to try the event if you would like to. The proposal has not been accepted or adopted as a trial. Competitors, please shoot as practice and report your score to the match director. Also, you may shoot these handguns in categories in which they meet the requirements such as UAS or Practical Hunter. Match directors, you are encouraged to post scores in the match report as non-sanctioned or practice. Please keep the Officers and Directors updated on the response of competitors trying these categories. Your input is vital to this proposal.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director