Proposed New IHMSA Practical Hunter Classes

Whats new in IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Proposed New IHMSA Practical Hunter Classes

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

xp-100 wrote:I have noticed for the past several match's I have attended including WCC & EEC that there are more and more shooters starting to shoot the practical hunter course including myself. Yes, it is a challenge and instead of calling it practical hunter it should have been field pistol uas. just my 2 cents.
Now that’s an established class,I can only speak for OKCGC,I know personally that we have several new shooters in PH 22.
And seven of us regulars that have bought or converted guns for this class,it’s hot and coming on strong here,
And all of still shoot UAS and USFS.
It may not be for everyone,if you can still shoot production and revolver 80’s, I hope you never loose it. I shoot three categories this past weekend,and all scoped.
Last edited by JACKIE40X40 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

There should be an update to the rules to indicate the order of categories now to include PH. PH should NOT be fired before UAS for example. This would be considered practicing in my view. Don't know if there has been any issues but could in the future since more people seem to be shooting PH.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

I have a Smith & Wesson .500 that I bought to hunt hogs with. It wears a Burris 2X in a Leupold mount & rings. I shoot the RCBS 400 grain cast bullet in front of 23 grains of SR4759. This gives me around 1100 fps, and is very accurate. I've asked at my club if I could shoot this in PH. I never got a definitive answer. When hunting with it, I shoot it off a tripod. I would never try to shoot this thing standing, too heavy! So, shooting off my tripod, where does this leave me? It IS a hunting pistol that I HUNT with. Any answers?
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

LOCKHART wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson .500 that I bought to hunt hogs with. It wears a Burris 2X in a Leupold mount & rings. I shoot the RCBS 400 grain cast bullet in front of 23 grains of SR4759. This gives me around 1100 fps, and is very accurate. I've asked at my club if I could shoot this in PH. I never got a definitive answer. When hunting with it, I shoot it off a tripod. I would never try to shoot this thing standing, too heavy! So, shooting off my tripod, where does this leave me? It IS a hunting pistol that I HUNT with. Any answers?
The way I read it is,a bipod is legal,for Unclassed and A-AA shooters only.
Short course is no,the OACL is too long.1.29 is max.
And excess target damage may be a problem?
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Target damage is no problem. Already made sure of that. Didn't know about the OAL length. So, I guess it's only "practical" hunter if I use some cartridge that's already approved by IHMSA as "practical"?. Think I'll just pass on this one.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I'm gonna argue the other way...it should not be used in UAS (the least restrictive) before PH (more restrictive). Same logic that dictates a p-gun be shot in Prod before Unlimited. Better yet, just rule that you can't use the same gun in both events.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

In the same vein, I think the same gun should not be allowed in both UAS & UASHS. Or U & UHS. But that's just me.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Rich, I'm going to offer another view. PH should be a means of introducing people to IHMSA. It is fun for us because we get to shoot another entry. New folks may bring whatever they desire (respecting safety and target damage) as a way to try out IHMSA. SO------Keep PH as a competition; but there are no awards. Shoot for your score. Let the new shooter shoot for their score. When they want to shoot the other categories they compete against others.
When shooting the same gun, the IHMSA entries should be shot first. If you wish to enter your U or UAS as PH, it is your choice. PH shouldnt be used as a ''warm up'' or ''sight-in'' session. I have a couple that I enter as PH. I could enter them as UAS. If I do that, the UAS score stands and a re-entry as PH is of no consequence in the standings. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Richard Pickering wrote:Rich, I'm going to offer another view. PH should be a means of introducing people to IHMSA. It is fun for us because we get to shoot another entry. New folks may bring whatever they desire (respecting safety and target damage) as a way to try out IHMSA. SO------Keep PH as a competition; but there are no awards. Shoot for your score. Let the new shooter shoot for their score. When they want to shoot the other categories they compete against others.
When shooting the same gun, the IHMSA entries should be shot first. If you wish to enter your U or UAS as PH, it is your choice. PH shouldnt be used as a ''warm up'' or ''sight-in'' session. I have a couple that I enter as PH. I could enter them as UAS. If I do that, the UAS score stands and a re-entry as PH is of no consequence in the standings. rp
R.P. Exactly right,that the reason behind the PH. Some of us old blind shooters”me” like to shoot too,and rimfire is all I do.
I have a designated PH 22 gun,I always shoot last,If I get time.IHMSA get a $1.00 and the hosting club gets a ltille money.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

Richard Pickering wrote:Rich, I'm going to offer another view. PH should be a means of introducing people to IHMSA. It is fun for us because we get to shoot another entry. New folks may bring whatever they desire (respecting safety and target damage) as a way to try out IHMSA. SO------Keep PH as a competition; but there are no awards. Shoot for your score. Let the new shooter shoot for their score. When they want to shoot the other categories they compete against others.
Well written. I'm good with all you said. ^:)^
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000