Whats new in IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Proposed New IHMSA Practical Hunter Classes

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Steve M.,

Since you are reading this thread, please respond to my post that is the next to the last post on page 1 concerning what empirical data is IHMSA going to use to determine if this will be approved or not. I am still waiting for an answer.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

As you will see in the March issue of the IHMSA news in the Treasurers report, the sanction fees for 2010 are broken down into each discipline. I’ll check with Warren that we also have some previous year’s sanction fees to chart trends. We will look at that, look at any increases in advertising and sponsorship by venders. We will also be listening to our match directors to see if they have gotten any new members/ kept older members due to the addition of the classes. New members who shoot the P Hunter classes will be easy to track as they will get two entries into the gun drawing for each entry they shoot.
At the end of the two years I hope it will be clear one way or the other (like it was with Air, half-scale, and fifth-scale) and the members of that board will make the best decision for the sport.
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

volleyman wrote:At the end of the two years I hope it will be clear one way or the other (like it was with Air, half-scale, and fifth-scale) and the members of that board will make the best decision for the sport.
Don't forget, you will not be able to update the match software. That will be an extra burden on overworked match directors and also the Internationals.

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President

Post by volleyman »

I think that the match directors will be able to handle the 2-6 entries they might get at the local matches. These classes are optional at all matches, including State, Regionals, and the World Championships. Did the match director at the Idaho Falls Internationals use John's software to track/log the 1900 entries? Now that was an overworked match director.
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

volleyman wrote:Did the match director at the Idaho Falls Internationals use John's software to track/log the 1900 entries? Now that was an overworked match director.
With only 4 disciplines, it would be fairly easy! But, with 26 or more that is a different story!

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

Boomer
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57468

Post by Boomer »

tonedaddy wrote:Man give it a rest dude!
Now thats uncalled for!

The purpose of this forum is to exchange idea & share information. Not to bob our heads in ascension, hold hands & sing Kumbaya.

If an idea has merit it will withstand scrutiny.

For me, my own personal opinion I say sure, why not. It will allow me to shoot a couple of guns that only get used during hunting season. However being pragmatic I think it is a bad idea. We are diverting limited & dwindling resources to a endeavor that I honestly dont see being much of a draw.

I DO LIKE that IHMSA is trying something new! I hope I am wrong & this is a catalyst for a new IHMSA movement.
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

tonedaddy wrote: Steve, if you are so against it, DON'T OFFER IT! Man give it a rest dude!
Craig,

You have totally missed the point of my discussion. The issue is not am I for or against adding disciplines. The issue is HOW DO WE GROW THE SPORT??

Adding disciplines of and by itself will not do it. We have to reach outside of our tiny 1,800 or so membership. How do we do that? I am working on a growth plan that will have far more potential to grow the sport than adding disciplines and it will be presented next month assuming we have the 2010 financials published in the IHMSA News. From Steve M.'s post earlier, that will happen.

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

tonedaddy wrote:Maybe Steve & BOOMER need to run for office! :twisted: Now I know why I got out of this 15 years ago...BITCH, BITCH, BITCH! :twisted:
Craig,

I suggest you go back & read my posts. There is not one bitch there. I made inquires which Steve M. responded to & I appreciate his candid responses. I also offered a few opinions.

As far as running for office, while you were out for 15 years, I was here volunteering. I ran the IHMSA Headquarters West operation & edited the IHMSA News for years. I invested at least $10,000 of my own money each year in travel to promote the sport. I have been a match director for 10 years, and the West Coast Championship held here is the largest silhouette match excluding the Internationals. There are many ways to serve IHMSA without running for office.

Again, I will be presenting a business plan that will have to goal of saving this organization. It will be positive, innovative, and up beat. But, it will be up to the Board to decide if we implement it. This will happen in March.

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President

Post by volleyman »

We are diverting limited & dwindling resources to a endeavor that I honestly dont see being much of a draw.
On this, I have to disagree. We are using less of our funds promoting this than I think we should (almost none, see my earlier post of “using other people’s money”). As far as resources, we have gained many from just adding the classes without anybody shooting them. Before and during the Shot Show I have gotten commitments for 3+ donated guns to be used as promotion for these classes from venders who had all but given up on us. Most of the venders who have supported us in the past have seen our market share of their products fall over the years to a very small percentage. The handgun hunting share of their business has grown over the same time and that is why they think this might work. Several past advertisers are interested in doing something in the IHMSA news. I got a lot of interest from gun writers who have shot silhouette in the past, but were not interested in doing any more articles on the sport. This appeal to the more common hunting handgun owner got them thinking about our sport and one writer is planning to make it to Ft. Stockton this July. If this will lead to more free publicity I don't know, but there is now a chance where there was little before. To keep these venders and writers interested in the sport we will need to do our part and recruit new members to our sport.
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

I’ve read all these posts and I’m sorry everyone is getting so personal. What I see from the post is:
1.The last thing we need is another class to confuse new shooters.
2.IHMSA has already decided to add that class so there is no real need to get frustrated by discussing it further.

But why can’t I shoot my Ruger .41 Mag. “Hunter” with my 7x Burris (it IS a PISTOL scope)? Oh, that’s right I might shoot deer with it but ….