IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Proposed New IHMSA Practical Hunter Classes

Post by DspoilR »

Thanks for that quick answer

Problem is that they pull out the rule book,
and it doesn't show up in there,
the one available for download through this website, 2012 rule book
or the one linked to through IHMSA Australia, 2011 rule book
or the one linked to through the SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association Australia, my clubs governing body) rule book.
They keep refering to the line
"Muzzle breaks/compensators/poring is not allowed"

Where can I find the definition of the class,
or a rule book containing the class,
to show my match director?

Cheers,
Vince
Australia
DspoilR
Target Setter

Post by DspoilR »

Could you please tell me where I can find the definition of this class,
and it's acceptance,
written down?

It doesn't show in the download from this website (2012 rule book),
or the one linked to from the
IHMSA Australia website (2011 rule book)

I've asked the dicipline delegate from my club,
and he points to the rule book and the
"muzzle break's or porting are not allowed" bit.

Cheers
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

When I joined IHMSA in 1980, the main guns were TC contenders of course, lots of Smith & Wessons,
and Rugers. The course of fire, and the amount of power needed to knock over those early targets
soon weeded out the guns that wouldnt take the punishment. The guns being used at that time were
pistols and revolvers that alot of people already had. Elgin Gates made it his priority to keep guns that
were approved for IHMSA at a realistic price, so that the average fellow who wanted to compete in our
sport, could do so without taking out a loan. Almost as soon as he was in the dirt, the crys began to allow
real EXPENSIVE guns into competition that Gates would NEVER have approved. This is part of our problems,
fellows. If a new guy comes out, likes to shoot revolvers, and see's a Freedoms Arms, and that is the one
thats winning, he is gonna want one, until he finds out how much they COST! And, also the fact that these
things are NOT production guns, because in most cases, you have to wait a few months to get one. Exactly
the same thing with the MOA'S. You wait 3 to 6 months, and call that a production gun? I've said this before
and always get taken to task for it, usually from people who own these types of expensive handguns, but I've
given this alot of thought, and I know that I couldnt have started out in this game if it had required a 1500.00
to 2500.00 dollar handgun to be in the running for 1st place in a match. And, please dont trot out the old
cliche about we are "only shooting against ourselves!" PUH-LEASE! Everybody wants to win, not come in 3rd
or 10th. Gates kept us from this for as long as he ran IHMSA, and with cheap guns from the Silhouette shop, too.
I know this horse has left the barn, but this is what, in my opinion, helped sound the death knell of IHMSA.
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Having said all of the above, I will keep shooting IHMSA until they no longer
have matches to shoot. I have been in this for 30 years, have met some
WONDERFUL people, and will continue on. I dont want anyone to hammer
me for goring some of their oxen, but that is just the way I feel, and also
feel all this could have been prevented.
United States of America
encore22
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 15735

Post by encore22 »

The Practical Hunter category has been approved and the rule book is being printed to reflect the rules. Before he died he was rechambering XP-100 from 7 BR to 7 IHMSA, which at the time was easier to make from the 300 savage case. He forsaw what was coming in the unlimited classes.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Lockhart, I too joined in 1980 and can relate to what you are saying. One thing I learned years ago is a lot of people have way more money than I do to buy expensive guns. Yep, I have owned several over the years too but realized I didn't shoot any better with the expensive guns and then began to have way more fun at our matches with my affordable guns. I just want to hear the targets clang and bang whether I am in first or last place. Me personally, for this new Hunter class, the rules should allow any gun that a hunter may legally use. Don't care if it has a 32X scope. More power to the hunter that can use high powered scopes. If I was a MD I sure wouldn't turn away an entry in Hunter class if the scope was too powerful. Real irony is ported guns are allowed in Hunter class but not Production/Revolver. Muzzle brakes on U-guns are much worse than ported guns anyway. Just shows how twisted some of our rules have become. Why can't we just let hunters use hunter guns in the Hunter class with no restrictions. After all they are there to get practice to use their guns for hunting. I'm suffering from with drawl symptoms already due to winter. Yuck!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
KickBass
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57314

Post by KickBass »

DspoilR wrote:Could you please tell me where I can find the definition of this class,
and it's acceptance,
written down?

It doesn't show in the download from this website (2012 rule book),
or the one linked to from the
IHMSA Australia website (2011 rule book)

I've asked the dicipline delegate from my club,
and he points to the rule book and the
"muzzle break's or porting are not allowed" bit.

Cheers
The guidelines for all 3 Practical Hunter classes are printed monthly in the IHMSA News, usually on page 3.
IHMSA editor
4th grade spelling bee champion
Homecoming King runner up--'88, '89 Diamond (MO) HS
Past prom date for Tina "Boom Boom" Barlett
Australia
DspoilR
Target Setter

Post by DspoilR »

Hi Folks,
Sorry to necro such an old thread, but I am still having ... :-? discussions with people about this.
In Australia under the Sporting Shooters Assn, we shoot IHMS under your Rule Book.
I have a Taurus .44mag with an 8 and a bit inch factory ported barrel.
I have been told by our club dicipline delegate,
and our state dicipline delegate,
that as the barrel is shorter than 12",
as under section X it is not able to be shot.

Could I please have a clarification on the interpretation and intent of section XI,
Practical Hunter

I also remember a thread in these forums from 19turkeys about proposing a rule change to section X,
which would allow ports/brakes on any size barrel to be used,
as long as they are shot from a safe position.
Did anything happen with that?

Cheers
Vince
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Hi Vince,
Here is my interpretation of PH rules. First off people have to understand the PH rules were written to be "stand alone" rules and did NOT consider any other rules currently in place. The PH rules actually do not mention barrel length so ANY barrel length should be OK. Your Taurus revolver would be an excellent example of what a real hunter in the field might use. For some reason several rule changes have been incorporated over the years that did not integrate with existing rules and caused conflicting opinions. If the PH rules had not just been slapped onto the tail end of the rule book and had been better integrated with our existing rules then questions would be fewer and all rules would be more easy to understand. Unfortunately different people interpret rules all through the rule book as applying to PH entries but that is not the case. PH rules stand by themselves!!!! If PH rules did not stand by themselves then ported guns would not be allowed in PH at all since most if not all practical hunting firearms have barrels shorter than 12 inches. Also consider how your Taurus revolver is NOT a legal Production firearms since the porting is not allowed in Production or Revolver classes but is perfectly legal in PH as long as shot in a safe position. I guess anyone shooting a ported revolver in Production or Revolver classes was just assumed to be shooting in an unsafe position. Go figure how it is legal in one category (PH) but not in the others (P and R).
I assisted our President several years ago in clarifying our bylaws by eliminating conflicting statements and by applying consistent text through out the bylaws. Our rule book needs a redo to totally integrate all categories and classes in all sections to insure there is no confusion or at least reduce confusion. It is too bad there is some vagueness in our rules that leaves rulings up to the individual shooter and/or official instead of being perfectly clear for all shooters and officials.
Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

Post by xp-100 »

I have noticed for the past several match's I have attended including WCC & EEC that there are more and more shooters starting to shoot the practical hunter course including myself. Yes, it is a challenge and instead of calling it practical hunter it should have been field pistol uas. just my 2 cents.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason