Semi-production = production class legal?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Semi-production = production class legal?

Post by benenglish »

There are any number of "boutique" builders turning out semi-production pistols, essentially starting with a base from an established brand and adding all their own parts to complete the pistol. Everybody knows that lots of AR makers do this. So do lots of 1911 pistol makers.

So is this Image

(found at http://www.oregonprecisionarms.com/?page_id=162) legal for production?

As I read the rules, the barrel section could be mated to a MkII and would probably be legal without too much room for discussion. After all, it's just a replacement barrel for a firearm that's out of production and for which new parts are not readily available from the factory.

However, when a third party buys current-production frames, stuffs them with their own parts, and then sells the result as a new, complete firearms, I get confused. I see this as an OGA pistol that just happens to use a Ruger frame as a base, just like so many 1911 shops make their pistols using frames from a small number of suppliers. However, I don't know how this particular pistol would be treated by IHMSA.

Any ideas? I'm considering buying one to use for Conventional Pistol competition and if it turns out to also be legal for IHMSA production class competition, that would be a big added bonus.
kg4tyr
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Semi-production = production class legal?

Post by kg4tyr »

I'm no expert, but I would say no.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Very gray area and open to many interpretations. If the frame is stamped Ruger then I would definitely say no since it is a modified Ruger. If the frame is identified as originating from this company, then I would say a strong maybe. There are currently companies making semi-auto 22 pistols based upon Ruger 10-22 designed frames but they are licensed to make the frames so are not modified Ruger Charger frames. Those would also fall into this category. Lets face it, even the so called production legal handguns probably have some outside made parts in them and they are condered production legal by IHMSA. Apparently this company has outsourced there frames to Ruger or has a license agreement with Ruger to use their frame design. I could go either way on this issue but I do see an opportunity to get more guns to use for IHMSA. Imagine this gun with a 14" barrel. That is what Browning did years ago but they were cost prohibitive for Browning. I'm sure more thought needs to go into this decision. I would also like to restate that I think all our IHMSA committes state what they are evaluating in the IHMSA News or on the IHMSa website. It would be good to see what the Evaluation committee has to say, pro and con, about this pistol.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Contact Dell Taylor. Call him as I understand he does not check email often. Dell is the Evaluation Committee.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Post by benenglish »

Thanks to all for the input.

On a side note, the picture of the pistol is no longer appearing on this page for me. It worked for a while; now it doesn't.

For anyone who brings up this thread after I post this - Do you see the photo of the OPA pistol above? Or is there just a blank line after the "So is this" text?

If something has gone screwy with either the way I've set up the IMG tags or my PhotoBucket account then I've got a bit of troubleshooting to do.

Again, thanks.

Ben
Last edited by benenglish on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

i can see it on the 1st post
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
Justin Cider
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 44714

Post by Justin Cider »

that is one crazy looking gun!