What Class ????

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
RickK
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

What Class ????

Post by RickK »

If I shoot a TC with a 14" Barrel with Open( Iron )sights in the Standing Position what Class would I be in ???????
Sorry but I'm a little confused with all the different classes !!!!
Thanks
Rick
kg4tyr
Class B

Re: What Class ????

Post by kg4tyr »

There are so many classes nowadays it ain't hard to be confused. You would simply shoot in US class (Unlimited Standing)
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
RickK
Target Setter

Post by RickK »

Would I be competing against shooters using Scopes???? As that is also Unlimited Standing ???? Seems like Open Sight Shooters are at a disadvantage when using an Unlimited Gun
(over 10 3/4" Barrel) I like shooting Iron Sights and the extra barrel length gives me a little more velocity as well as a longer sight length.
Thanks
Rick
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

There is no unfair advantage with a scope in Unlimited standing. You will only shoot in a class with other shooters of a similar skill level, with or without a scope. I have won my class in US with iron sights against scoped shooters before. If you are AA with irons sights and another shooter is AA with a scope, you are both still AA.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

RickK wrote:Would I be competing against shooters using Scopes???? As that is also Unlimited Standing ???? Seems like Open Sight Shooters are at a disadvantage when using an Unlimited Gun
(over 10 3/4" Barrel) I like shooting Iron Sights and the extra barrel length gives me a little more velocity as well as a longer sight length.
Thanks
Rick
Rick, like I said it's confusing. So I got out the rule book and there are 3 Unlimited categories:
Unlimited (freestyle) any safe position allowed by rules
Unlimited Any Sight (just as it says "Any Sight") any safe position allowed by rules
Unlimited Standing (Rule Book does not differentiate between open sights and scopes. So I guess the short answer is, YES you would shoot against scopes. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
RickK
Target Setter

Post by RickK »

Thanks Guys.....
High Standard 40....Good point...never thought of it that way....30 out of 40 with or without scope is still AAA...who's the better shooter...WHO CARES....at 64 Years Old
I know whats important and whats not. I'm Thankful to God that I'm still able to get out and shoot.
Rick