How about the 221 Fireball

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 7771

How about the 221 Fireball

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

Doing some old reading and found a rule book titled IHMSA Rule Clarifications 1976 - 1986

Question is about the 221 Fireball as originally manufactured and being a legal "Production" pistol and if this grandfathered rule still applies today in what we have for targets and the way they are set from way back in the early days. And what about sights - replacing the original ones with Bomar or ISGW - Is that considered as the sights that are available as a manufacturers catalog item which fit and attach to the handgun without alterations to the sights or handgun.

Anyone care to weigh in on this topic and let me know their understanding on the 221 Fireball as a Production category. ??

Steve 7771
IHMSA Member since 1996
B-) 1st Copy IHMSA Newsletter Flash Drive 40 Years 1977-2016
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Re: How about the 221 Fireball

Post by Jimologist »

Steve, I thought the stock fireball was dropped from the production category a long time ago. I cant remember when but i think it was about the time that the line about no bolt action pistol except air pustols are allowed in the production category.

Current rule book would exclude the 10” XP original fireball from production because it used to have a specific allowance and i can no longer find it in the rule book.

I am also assuming the clarification book you are referring to is the little orange book and its use was discontinued back in the 90’s.
It does make for some knee slapping laughter!

Jim
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

Jim,
If you have some time could you see if you could find when the 221 Fireball was removed from the production category in the rule books.
I only have a couple years back on rule books and I do recall hearing about it but not actually knowing when it got dropped. I'm getting tempted about doing a reprint of this rule book and and having it duplicated for folks that might want to have a copy just for some fun reading material. There is a lot of content within this specific booklet that explains the rules and comments about how they "Meant" the rule to be understood.

Steve 7771
IHMSA Member since 1996
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

At home I have rule books going back to 2012. The line for the exclusion of the stock fireball had already been dropped by then.

I think I have books going back to 2006 in my match supplies at my one match. It might be a couple weeks before I can check.

Ill let you know.

If I think it was 10 or 12 years ago, it was probably 20!

Im thinking now it was 2000-2002?

Old minds tend to forget how long ago stuff happened!

Jim
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

WA_SHTR+44M wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 am Jim,
If you have some time could you see if you could find when the 221 Fireball was removed from the production category in the rule books.
I only have a couple years back on rule books and I do recall hearing about it but not actually knowing when it got dropped. I'm getting tempted about doing a reprint of this rule book and and having it duplicated for folks that might want to have a copy just for some fun reading material. There is a lot of content within this specific booklet that explains the rules and comments about how they "Meant" the rule to be understood.

Steve 7771
The xp 221 fireball was dropped in 2004. I found it in the 2004 internationals newsletter under "notice of rule changes".

I also found that Remington also made another 10 1/2" XP around 1992 and it was never approved for production.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

Thank you for finding out that information for me. Now I know how far back I need to go and do more digging research for my own fun.

I am planning on putting the XP-100 221 Fireball as a original stock item back on the firing line for a one time entry and see how I do with it.

I will have to follow the current rules and designate it as Unlimited just to see what happens. With any luck and time invested I hope to get some sight settings with the original sights --- This could prove to be a challenge. Isn't that what it's all about "The Challenge"

The main goal for me here is to see what early competitors had to deal with and knocking over the full size targets. One possible favor in my quest would be that the previous settings of the targets being the full foot set ones compared to what we have now as the topple point advantage --

Or -- Do I ask for a special request from the match director that the targets be set like in the early days and go back to the original rules from the 80's where the XP was allowed as Production so that the playing field is "FAIR"

Steve 7771
IHMSA Member since 1996
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Steve, if you reprint the explanation book, I'd like a copy of it just as a reference to the how and why of some of the rules. Often there is good intentions, but poorly written.

I applaud your desire to recreate the 221 - ram - energy discussion. I fear you will simply find out what many people in years past already discovered. If it was reliable, we'd still be using it or TC barrels chambered for it.

On the other hand, your success with it will result in a run on those guns and MGM will be overwhelmed with new orders!!
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

OK on that Rich ---

I am going to do a reprint of the old booklet that I have in my collection and also see if I can get it added to the IHMSA website as a pdf for future readers. I'll do some checking on who to address the issue with about having it posted and under which header so that it may have it's own designated spot. If anyone else cares to put in their 2 "Quarters" (inflation prices now) :-? -- I am open to any suggestions, Please chime in and let me know.

In this day and age of electronic reading it becomes much easier for others to access it and then they can either download it and add it to their own system or just read through it via the website page.

Steve 7771
IHMSA Member since 1996
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

anything concerning the website would be me! we will find a place for it..
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
WA_SHTR+44M
Class C

Post by WA_SHTR+44M »

I made a couple of copies in hard print of the IHMSA Rule Clarifications 1976-1986 and I also did a scan of the information and sent it out as a pdf for Dan so that he can perform his prestidigitation handy-work for the website.

Steve 7771
IHMSA Member since 1996