Practical Hunter Legal

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
User avatar United States of America
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Re: Practical Hunter Legal

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

i26963 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm Does anyone know of a single, new shooter shooting PH?
I don’t.
Melvin
Yep! I know Mark Bashams nephew and two other 12 yr olds that shoot it starting out.
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

hardtoseeovergut wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 pm
i26963 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm Does anyone know of a single, new shooter shooting PH?
I don’t.
Melvin
Yep! I know Mark Bashams nephew and two other 12 yr olds that shoot it starting out.
I do remember now that Mark told me about that at the ECC.
So, that’s 2😁
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

What PH really adds up to is revenue. 58 PH entries were fired at the World Championships. That was about 10% of entries. As our membership ages some of us with bad eyes use it to fire more entries. I enjoyed every minute of the last three World Championships, going to Tres Banditos at Tusco, the ECC matches that have been held. But I'm not going so I can shoot UAS four times and two terrible standing scores. I usually shoot PH twice at every match I attend. That's $8.00 a month to IHMSA plus the rest of the entry fee to the club. I know Mr. Braud shoots a couple a month. Some clubs have multiple shooters that fire it.

When we started this category 10 years ago who didn't think it would evolve into this? Others and myself have built PH specific guns. Every new category, class, rule or anything else we have done to attract new shooters, has only been for the basic benefit of existing shooters. We played by the same rules for 11+ years and now I want to stay within the rules as they are written and interpreted. So far I've heard nothing to tell me if my idea is okay or not. I've been in touch with the manufacturer and discussed my needs.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

The understanding that I had concerning Practical Hunter categories was that they would cater to shooters who had a hunting handgun (of ANY type) that may or may not fit the criteria of a Production gun. If this shooter has a custom grip, fore end, hunting modifications (camo tape, etc.) it would be allowed and welcomed. Lets say that you have a shooter who is a woodworker, and carved his own grip set for his Contender hunting rig. If you follow the exact wording of the rule - his gun cannot be allowed. The rule needs to be rewritten, and should follow the established weight and length guidelines, but should follow the Unlimited gun guidelines. if a shooter shows up with a Ruger semi-auto .22 and has a Clark or Volquartsen trigger - it should be legal for Practical Hunter. The "cosmetic modification" part of the rule is one of the most vague parts of our rulebook, and is wide-open for differing interpretations. We shooters are always tinkering with our guns, and Practical Hunter category needs to embrace this. As long as the gun makes weight, does not exceed the maximum length rule and uses an approved cartridge - it should be allowed !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

35isit wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 am What PH really adds up to is revenue. 58 PH entries were fired at the World Championships. That was about 10% of entries. As our membership ages some of us with bad eyes use it to fire more entries. I enjoyed every minute of the last three World Championships, going to Tres Banditos at Tusco, the ECC matches that have been held. But I'm not going so I can shoot UAS four times and two terrible standing scores. I usually shoot PH twice at every match I attend. That's $8.00 a month to IHMSA plus the rest of the entry fee to the club. I know Mr. Braud shoots a couple a month. Some clubs have multiple shooters that fire it.

When we started this category 10 years ago who didn't think it would evolve into this? Others and myself have built PH specific guns. Every new category, class, rule or anything else we have done to attract new shooters, has only been for the basic benefit of existing shooters. We played by the same rules for 11+ years and now I want to stay within the rules as they are written and interpreted. So far I've heard nothing to tell me if my idea is okay or not. I've been in touch with the manufacturer and discussed my needs.
Greg - to answer your question, if a manufacturer offers this service to anyone that orders grips from him - then it should be legal ! But, you could look at ANY cataloged aftermarket grip as being in violation of the "as manufactured" provision of the rule. It needs to be addressed as it is in the Production
category rules, or follow the Unlimited rules - which is what I suggest.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
ihmsabuckeye
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 51787

Post by ihmsabuckeye »

FYI, Cody, my nephew, shot practical hunter because he is just starting out and had problems using iron sights and it was a way for him to shoot more guns, and hopefully develop an interest in the sport. What I saw at the most part at the int'ls was a bunch of unlimited guns shooting the category. I understand the same thing for people who are aging wanting to shoot more, but I don't see much difference IMO between shooting PH with the guns people have "built" and shooting UAS, with the exception of shooting at field pistol targets which I think is easier in PH than shooting Field Pistol standing or shooting 22 UAS.