Fore end rule proposal- board vote

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Fore end rule proposal- board vote

Post by aggshooter »

The IHMSA Board of Directors voted this week via email on the proposal to remove language pertaining to the contour and anatomy. Language pertaining to stock dimensions was deleted by Jim Fields (his proposal) late last week, and the amended proposal was voted upon. The board rejected the proposal 7-0, with 2 board members abstaining. The current language will remain, and should be followed by all IHMSA members and match directors.

Don Frasier...........No
Russel Mowles.......No
Rich Hawkins........No
Dell Taylor...........No
Allen Olsen..........No
John Richards......Abstain
Doug Edney.........No
Jim Fields..........Abstain
Brian Gildea.......No
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Fore end rule proposal- board vote

Post by high standard 40 »

Thanks for the update.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Some good info on ATF laws on vertical forend attachments.
They seem pretty serious about it, with fines and 10 year prison!😲
FYI only
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I thank the board for their action on this - I suppose the true test will begin next week at the Internationals. I sincerely hope that no "vendettas" are acted upon, and that any perceived "violations" are dealt with via the protest procedure.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

Amen, Philip!
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

This subject has been a hot topic for a year now. The board was tasked with contacting state directors and members, and represent those members. The 7-0 board vote speaks for itself.

I would hope that this issue has been laid to rest. Nothing good comes from a situation where members are allowed to pick & choose which rules to abide by. Everyone who plays by the rules expect others to do so as well.

I'm confident that a lot of folks here have no tolerance for those who want to continue this issue. There is no place in our sport for those who deliberately violate a rule to get DQ'd in order to pursue their personal agenda. Please, let it go, and let's all move on.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

I only have one question - and I asked Doug Edney this same question. How many times has the protest procedure been implemented against a shooters "violation" ?? The reason I ask is that nothing has really been solved, in my opinion. Doug's illustrations in the annual IHMSA News was the only descriptive illustrations that I have seen - and even those could be legal OR illegal, depending on how they were held. If I were a shooter that still traveled to shoot, I would be very leery of venturing out-of-state or elsewhere, because opinions still vary as to what is, and what is not - legal !
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

braud357 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:30 am I only have one question - and I asked Doug Edney this same question. How many times has the protest procedure been implemented against a shooters "violation" ?? The reason I ask is that nothing has really been solved, in my opinion. Doug's illustrations in the annual IHMSA News was the only descriptive illustrations that I have seen - and even those could be legal OR illegal, depending on how they were held. If I were a shooter that still traveled to shoot, I would be very leery of venturing out-of-state or elsewhere, because opinions still vary as to what is, and what is not - legal !
Regarding your question....as soon as this is answered, there will be dozens more questions from others....who was it?..... how did they violate the rule?..... were pic's taken? ....was there a video?.....who filed the protest?..... how was it resolved?....and then this whole debate starts again and never ends.

We have all been in the sport for many years and have offered advice or a caution to a shooter that didn't proceed or result in a shooter DQ. If a complaint results in a shooter walking off the line and discontinue the event, does it matter that a protest wasn't officially filed?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, not intended that way.

Review the text surrounding the pics in the IHMSA News. I thought it was pretty descriptive as to violation or legal position.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
braud357
Class A

Post by braud357 »

Rich - I have to assume that you feel that you are doing the right thing, but it seems that you are evading my question. I need to know, as a state director - what EXACTLY is legal and what is not. So, if a fore end has any kind of concave shape to it, it is illegal ?? By this description - many XP stocks and TC fore ends are - by definition - ILLEGAL ! I am sincerely asking for a exact definition - not a combative answer ! To me and many of my shooters, it seems that you are trying to outlaw prone shooting and the flop position with a vague interpretation of a poorly-written and/ or misunderstood rule !
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

Opinions or beliefs do not apply. This rule enforcement is position sensitive as stated many times. A handgun with a contoured forend cannot be disqualified based on appearance when it comes into the stat house. However, that same handgun could be protested depending upon how it is being used in the shooting position. If the forend doesn't contour body anatomy, then you are good to go. Personally, I do not have any knowledge of any protests. In my defense, I am still a very green "power that be".
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director