Legal flop?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Legal flop?

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Bad Eyes wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 pm Am I understanding correctly, that the rules allow you to rest your hand on say, an ammo box, and then rest your stock on your hand, as long as your stock doesn't touch the ammo box? Has any body seen this happen at the Internationals?

No,I have seen shooters using ammo boxes or a homemade device to rest their heads on at the Internationals,they would require a Physical Challenged card.
Thanks,
Rick
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

JACKIE40X40 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:24 pm
Bad Eyes wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 pm Am I understanding correctly, that the rules allow you to rest your hand on say, an ammo box, and then rest your stock on your hand, as long as your stock doesn't touch the ammo box? Has any body seen this happen at the Internationals?

No,on the seen at the Internationals.I have seen shooters using ammo boxes or a homemade device to rest their heads on at the Internationals,they would require a Physical Challenged card.
Thanks,
Rick
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

JACKIE40X40 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:24 pm

No,I have seen shooters using ammo boxes or a homemade device to rest their heads on at the Internationals,they would require a Physical Challenged card.
Thanks,
Rick
Rick is correct. The ammo box or homemade device is merely a simple method of extending a level playing field to those with physical challenges (that have been documented as an unimprovable impairment by a physician).

Examples:
1) I have fused bones in my right wrist that limit my range of motion. The limitation is documented due to the industrial accident that caused it, I received a monetary dispensation for the permanent loss of motion. Nonetheless, I can alter my hand position on the stock and still shoot Taco position in Standing, although my elbow sticks out like I'm shooting a shotgun. Thus, no PC card is needed.

2) I had major surgery on rotator cuff on my left shoulder, and can no longer reach the floor behind my head when shooting from Creedmoor. An ammo box behind my head allows me to "reach the floor". Physician certified the reduction of motion, a photo of the needed device (in the necessary position) was submitted, a PC card was issued. It's a PITA, if I need to wiggle a little going from the 1st target to the 5th target, I have to take time to move the box, but the alternative is to give up shooting freestyle. I have tried flop position, but the strain on my injured shoulder to support my upper body from an extended leveraged position is substantial. I have had to give up prone rifle shooting for the same reason.

An ammo box under either hand from flop position is cheating, as is having the grip grounded.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

As a physically challenged shooter who shoots the flop position using artificial means to raise or lower the gun should not be allowed. I have to sit on a stool and shoot from a table. I do use a 1 1/2 - 2 inch block under the legs where necessary. I do use a thin pad on my finger under the butt when shooting center fire guns. Like Richard due to several different accidents it was either get creative or quit. I too have the PC card.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Thanks,
Rick
I have seen shooters after their 10 shot string,and time remaining on the shot clock,use their ammo boxes to reset the AO on their scopes,for the next set of targets.This would be allowed
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

For the handicapped. Many of us are old & have difficulty getting up & down from the ground.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

another is range conditions. (Morro Bay was that way). at some ranges, the platform is needed to see the targets when shooting freestyle.

At morro Bay, we needed to use a platform as we could not see the 300 Meter Pigs when on the ground.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

You could apply for a PC card if you have a physical problem,other wise if you used the PC bench it would be considered a shooting aid!
United States of America
forest341
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by forest341 »

deleted
Last edited by forest341 on Tue May 16, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.