I'm confused about replacement Contender barrels

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

I'm confused about replacement Contender barrels

Post by benenglish »

I apologize for not knowing how this is handled in real life situations; I've simply been away from the sport for too long to know the current attitudes and interpretations. I'm trying to figure it out by reading the rule book and, I admit, I'm not sure what I'm reading.

The production gun rules at VI.A.6 specify that replacement parts not available from the manufacturer may be obtained elsewhere as long as it is "identical in material, form, finish, dimension and configuration to the original part."

Then section VI.A.7 proceeds to treat replacement barrels for Contenders as a separate issue. What I want to know is - Does paragraph 7 incorporate VI.A.6 or does paragraph 7 stand alone as the complete set of rules for aftermarket barrels?

Specifically, paragraph 7 mostly mirrors paragraph 6. It states that replacement Contender barrels must be the same length, diameter, and finish as barrels that were originally offered by T/C. So far, so good. This leads me to believe that anything that meets all the criteria in paragraph 7 should be legal as a production Contender aftermarket barrel.

HOWEVER, paragraph 7 specifically leaves out the requirement for "identical...configuration" that is contained in paragraph 6.

Logically, this would mean that if you got a replacement, aftermarket Contender barrel that looked exactly like an original, conforming to paragraph 7, it should be legal WITHOUT REGARD TO ANY OTHER, UNLISTED SPECIFICATION.

Is that the intent and current interpretation of the rules? If it is, it means that it's possible to legally use a barrel that's the same outside dimensions and same chambering as something T/C once offered but that there would be no limit on rifling twist since that is NOT a listed criteria for legality under paragraph 7.

I have a disabled sister who is extremely recoil-shy but would like to shoot silhouette with me later this year. In the past, she loved her XP100 for production because she could hit with it and it didn't matter to her all that much that all the targets didn't fall. However, if I'm reading these rules correctly, I could order a custom .223 barrel for my Contender with a faster rifling twist, enabling her to use heavier bullets and knock over a few more targets.

This would be legal if paragraph 7 is the entirety of the rules for replacement Contender barrels. That seems to be the purpose of breaking out the replacement barrel rules into their own section. However, if replacement barrels must also meet the criteria under paragraph 6, this wouldn't be possible. The way the rules are written, this should be legal but if they're being interpreted at the biggest matches in any different way, I'd like to know now instead of spending money on a barrel that will just get DQ'd later.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ben

PS - The point may be moot; I've already ordered her a .30 carbine barrel. But I'd still like to know the answer.
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: I'm confused about replacement Contender barrels

Post by 19 Turkeys »

IMHO as a match director only, the barrel rule is a stand alone and paragraph 6 does not apply.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

I assume the lady was using an original xp in 221. It would seem that she could use a 10'' t/c in 223 in order to be competitive although I guess it could be argued that an after market 223 would have to be made in the same twist as factory t/c barrels. Personally if it were my match I'd let the lady shoot even if it were just for fun. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
captainsc
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57582

Post by captainsc »

I am new to IHMSA, but this is how I read the rule book. With regards to TC barrels for Production categories the rule book does not state it must be like an original TC barrel in specifications and calibers. The rule book states in Section 5: Handguns, A. Production, 7., that barrels fitted to TC frames need to conform to original TC exterior dimensions and sight radius and finish "so long as the maker of the barrel offers the finish being utilized." The rule book makes no mention of being made to original TC internal specifications. It does not mention the new barrel must be in a cartridge or rate of twist originally offered by TC. Can a 300 AAC Blackout in a 10 1/2" blued, bull barrel with open sights made by "E. Arthur Brown Co." be used in the Big Bore Production category?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

As a "past" match director and long time IHMSA shooter, I believe any barrel from any manufacturer of 10 1/2" in length is legal with any cartridge and twist as long as it will fit onto a TC (Contender, G2 or Encore) with no modifications and will be Production legal. EAB makes 7mm UAS barrels that are Production legal and those were never offered by TC. Since TC no longer makes 10 1/2 barrels and the TC Custom Shop is still an unknown at this time, your only option is the aftermarket suppliers or used barrels. If you find a "cataloged" barrel for your TC, it will probably be legal in Production. I'm not sure what the current list of Production legal cartridges is at this time (that would be good to post on the IHMSA website) most chamberings offered now have probably been used in Production guns at some point in time.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885