Protest & Scoring Rule Proposals

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Protest & Scoring Rule Proposals

Post by aggshooter »

Below is the text regarding two IHMSA rule changes that we have received. Please discuss respectfully.

2016 IHMSA OFFICIAL RULES

Current Rule SECTION IX Match Procedures

J. Protests

2. All official protests must be submitted to the Match Director in writing, accompanied by a fee of US $10.00, within one hour of any alleged violation. The $10.00 fee shall be awarded to the party found in favor of by the jury.

Proposed rule change to read:

2. All official protests must be submitted to the Match Director in writing, accompanied by a fee of $10.00 local currency, within 24 hours of any alleged violation and/or one hour after the completion of the competition ,including shoot off,s whichever occurs first.

The $10.00 fee shall be awarded to the party found in favor of by the jury.

The request for the rule change comes from incidents at the 2019 SSAA IHMSA Australian National Championship, Little River, Victoria. Allegations of incorrect scoring were made to the same competitor following 2 incidents; however, this did not become apparent until the following day when the scores were posted, hence later than the 1 hour of opportunity to submit the complaint.

Current rule SECTION IX Match Procedures

E. Scoring

5. When wind conditions prevent one or more targets in a bank from being set and remaining in position without artificial support in accordance with section VIII-H, the target(s) shall be fastened - clamped/fixed - to the stand(s), and all shots striking such target(s) anywhere shall be scored as hits.

Proposed rule change to read:

E. Scoring

5. When wind conditions prevent one or more targets in a bank from being set and remaining in position without artificial support in accordance with section VIII-H, the target(s) shall be fastened - clamped/fixed - to the stand(s), all shots striking such target(s) anywhere shall be scored as hits provided the shot was from the competitors firearm in the correct sequence of fire, was not dirt spray from a missed shot causing paint to be removed from the target. During Championship matches when targets are clamped during such wind conditions ALL hits must be verified by a suitably experienced range officer or match director.

This rule change is requested due to an incident at the 2019 Australian SSAA IHMSA National Competition, Little River, Victoria. A dispute arose over the scoring of a “hit” on the belly line of a fastened Big Bore Ram. The mark “may or may not” have come from the competitor’s firearm and “may or may not” have been from a projectile but from the dirt spraying from a missed shot.

The intention of the rule change is to remove any ambiguity regarding marks on targets that are fastened.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Protest & Scoring Rule Proposals

Post by high standard 40 »

I have no issues with this change suggestion.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Food for thought about an official scoring targets at any match. With many clubs now using reset targets I usually cannot find an official to score the hits before a bank is reset. Since I usually shoot without a spotter I don't even have a fellow competitor helping score targets. Often my targets are reset for bank 2 before I can even score my own targets. Any ideas what can be done about this? Would this require a rule change?
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

260 Striker wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:00 pm Food for thought about an official scoring targets at any match. With many clubs now using reset targets I usually cannot find an official to score the hits before a bank is reset. Since I usually shoot without a spotter I don't even have a fellow competitor helping score targets. Often my targets are reset for bank 2 before I can even score my own targets. Any ideas what can be done about this? Would this require a rule change?
Please clarify your question. The proposal above refers to hard set targets.

Are you talking about reset targets that are popped up before you can have someone confirm your score (if needed), or are you talking about knockdown targets, or are you talking about clamped targets as the proposal addresses?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Sorry Rich, I'm talking about the targets being reset before I can enter the hits on my scorecard. With no spotter I am trying to make my gun safe, score targets and prepare ammo for bank 2. Some resets pop up quickly after bank 1. Don't know if there should be a rule to mandate 30 seconds or ? before targets are reset. Some ranges must have a timer to reset targets.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP

Post by aggshooter »

Lynn- I love you like a brother, but you're killing me dude.
First, your question belongs in another thread. This one is for the rule proposal at the top of the page. Please limit your comments to the topic.
Second, you're waaaaaay overthinking this. Not trying to be cryptic, but...

You shoot at LHA. I've seen your scores, nobody thinks you cheat, but if you do, you suck at it.
If you're shooting BB, mark your scorecard after every 5 shots. The targets still standing are the ones you missed. Even at age 74, you can still count to 5. :))
If you're shooting SB, don't pull the reset rope until you score your targets.

If you shoot at Tusco, nobody thinks you cheat.
Mark your scorecard after every 5 shots. See above comment about your age and ability to count to 5.

We don't need a rule mandating time to mark scorecards. If you formally submit it, I will drive over to LHA and beat you with a stick. Not an official IHMSA action, just saying. =))

Sorry we didn't get to see you last month, Diana says hi. Glad you got some medical issues resolved. Hope we get to visit next trip to LHA. I was anxious to shoot your new banana gun, and didn't get to...

Rich
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Thanks bro. I will try to behave!!!!