Reflex Sight

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Reflex Sight

Post by 260 Striker »

Is there, or will there be a definitive list of "real" reflex sights so MDs don't have to guess what sights are allowed and which ones are illegal? Since there seems to be some disagreement what really constitutes a genuine reflex sight, I think a list would be appropriate. I suspect many local MDs will look through any sight see it is 1X and will let the shooter use it. That may cause problems when the shooter goes to another range that may deem the sight to be illegal.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

The fifty previous posts would have been moot if one thing had happened. We, they or whomever had the agenda. Simply put had established a trial PAS and RAS in Big Bore and Small Bore. No special rules on what is or isn't a Reflex sight. No age requirements. No feelings hurt among those that are the true Pistoleros ^:)^ of our sport. Those that can shoot 100 and 140 club scores with Iron Sights. I never have been nor will ever be even with Reflex sights. But I admire their accomplishments.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Obviously this proposal was meant to encourage our aging membership to not give up shooting and to try something new on some guns they may already own. Unfortunately with the many issues that have been discussed here I see this rule being ignored/abused. Who is really going to check age? Who will know if the sight is a true reflex or some other fancy non-magnifying sight? If the rule cannot, or will not, be followed by ALL MDs then this will not have accomplished much. More simple requirements would have been nice but that is water under the bridge. I suspect only a small handful of shooters and MDs will abide by the rules. The rest will just slap on some 1X sight, regardless of age and just shoot. IHMSA is evolving to a "shoot anything" at the local matches which may or may not conform to any IHMSA rules. I suspect there are many entries with illegal guns where people are just shooting for fun, like we all should be, and then the score cards are not turned in and IHMSA does not get an entry fee. The local MDs do what they have to so shooters will come and enjoy themselves and sometimes that means letting them shoot steel with an unapproved gun.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885