Dead Frog & Revolver Blast Shields?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
Cali_Joe
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Dead Frog & Revolver Blast Shields?

Post by Cali_Joe »

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question about legal freestyle positions using a revolver blast shield...

The most comfortable position for me right now with my revolver is in dead frog, with the barrel of the gun across the top of my inner knee.
However, would this be legal since the barrel would be resting ontop of a blast shield?

I know there are rules against nesting in/on a crease or wrinkle, but nothing specifically against laying ontop of.

Will this end up being a match director by match director type of decision?
Should I just forgo this and get more comfortable with say... creedmore instead?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B

Re: Dead Frog & Revolver Blast Shields?

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

That would be legal to rest the barrel on top of the blast shield. It is still free to move over the blast shield. You are correct about not using a crease, wrinkle or some kind of step to hold the barrel steady. Have fun with it, deadfrog is a good position, just watch the muzzle end for leg clearance with those shorter barrels.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Joe,

Dead Frog is my preferred position for shooting both my Small Bore & Big Bore revolvers. My blast shield is quite hard thus the surface is smooth and there is no possibility of the barrel nesting in or being cradled by the blast shield. I see no problem with your preferred shooting position as long as the blast shield itself is not creating an artificial support by a crease or some other manner.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Knife Handler
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 29790

Post by Knife Handler »

All the above advice is right on. With that said, I shot myself into International Class with the dead frog shooting position on a level range. If you have to shoot down or up hill, you might run into some problems.
Cali_Joe
Target Setter

Post by Cali_Joe »

Thanks for the information everyone. Since my DW is so nose-heavy right now, it's a struggle to hold the front up, hence the dead-frog questions.
CZ/DW can sell me one of the slotted shrouds, but it will be almost $400.
Not really worth it in my opinion.
kg4tyr
Class B

Post by kg4tyr »

Cali_Joe wrote:Thanks for the information everyone. Since my DW is so nose-heavy right now, it's a struggle to hold the front up, hence the dead-frog questions.
CZ/DW can sell me one of the slotted shrouds, but it will be almost $400.
Not really worth it in my opinion.
It's almost scary where prices gotten to. I haven't shot in years, but when I did, I bought a brand new DW, Stainless .41 Mag with the 8" VH barrel shroud for about $460. I couldn't justify paying $400 for a shroud even if I was rich. :shock:
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!