Contradicting Rules

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Contradicting Rules

Post by 260 Striker »

Attached is a copy of the email I sent in 2006 to Blair Hamilton with some proposed rule changes. The last entry describes the proposed changes to allow more cartridges in FP.
I never received a reply or any other response from any HQ official about this email. I suspect the changes were not favorably received and were just ignored which is OK but I would have at least liked to know that someone read them.
These are just a few of the rule changes I have proposed over the years. Never heard anything about the other proposed changes either.
Attachments
Proposed changes to the IHMSA 2006 Official Rules-1.doc
(25 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

Thanks for the post.
Consistent rules are key to any organization, so good work.
I am working on a new TC barrel hoping your proposed cartridge rules are approved.
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

64XP, Please check my attachment again and you will see that I sent that proposal years ago. All rule changes I have proposed were never acknowledged or ever brought up for consideration.
As far as I am concerned, the rule change process is broken and nonexistent, at least for any rules submitted by the general membership.
Only rule changes I have seen in the last few years were submitted by a handful of people and I am not one of the in crowd so I suspect any changes I would submit are overlooked.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Like the rule on shooting gloves. I think the rule states "gloves may be used as long as they are not used as a shooting aid." Why in hell would you even USE a glove if it's NOT a shooting aid? Some of our rules make no sense!
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I don't look at a glove as a shooting aid. I don't think it buys me any targets that I wouldn't get if I had grips that weren't slippery, or a bigger hand with more meat on it. The glove absorbs a bit of recoil, no different than a protective elbow pad. It also gives me a consistent grip that is less affected by a sweaty palm, which makes it a safety issue. I don't use a glove in air pistol because it's indoors and my hand doesn't sweat as much. The rules don't allow me to checker a grip on a production gun.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

It's a shooting aid, dude! You named about it helping with problems you were having! Good grief!
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

A glove that is worn to reduce slippage or protect flesh from injury is a safety product, no different than wearing ear plugs, electronic muffs, or prescription glasses. I (read "we" and that includes "you") are equal in our choice to wear a glove or not. To the contrary, I have no choice in having a small hand, or that perhaps it perspires more than a person with a large hand that can grip a gun like a vice. Everyone is equal in having a choice of wearing a glove. If you shoot with someone that wears a glove that somehow gives them an artificial rest or other aid that is outside the stated purpose (like one that incorporates multiple straps and metal to form a wrist brace), then file a protest as per the rules.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

You got sweaty hands? Deal with it. If you use a glove and it absorbs the sweat and it allows you to shoot better scores, the glove is AIDING your shooting. This ain't rocket science here.
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

I have to agree with Aggshooter.

I use a Glove for my big bore guns for One reason, and that is to protect my hand. I have 4 guns that will take skin off my hand when they recoil. I shoot a lot of boomers!

and for info, I just use a batting glove with the trigger finger cut off. These have almost no padding in them.

Most other shooting disciplines allow the use of a glove.

And if you still doubt it, I will gladly let you shoot my 10" wichita in 357SM or XP in 7-08 and see if you you do not start bleeding.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B

Post by LOCKHART »

I'm tired of beating this very dead horse, but when someone states that gloves are NOT a shooting aid and then begins to list the numerous things the glove does to HELP them to shoot BETTER, well, I have no answer to that. Let's just agree to disagree and let it go at that.