Rules updates/clarifications???

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Rules updates/clarifications???

Post by 260 Striker »

Per Section X:A.2.B) applying friction materials or rubberizing on any part of the handgun is Not Allowed. This is an old rule that goes way back to the early days of IHMSA and I think it was overcome when Pachmayr grips were OKed for Production and Revolver guns. You can't get more rubberized than a Pachmayr. My specific concern now is the Unlimited guns that may move around in a person's grip while shooting. I would think that some friction/rubberizing aide may improve safety. The revolver shooters recognized the need for rubber grips (Pachmayr, Hogue and others) when shooting 44s with wood grips and having them twist around in their hands. Some of the custom stock makers for XPs even offered some pebbled coatings that were legal and they offered better gripping for U-guns. I just think this rule should have some thought given to improve grip safety with U-guns.

Then in Section X:A.2.C) muzzle brakes, compensators or ported barrels are prohibited with barrels less than 12 inches but our new PH classes allow these items as long as they are shot from a safe position. Seems like a shooter can be safe in PH but not in Production or Revolver?????? These items should be allowed in any class as long are they are used in a safe manor.

Also noticed in Section II:A and B no mention is made that revolvers shot in the creedmoor position MUST be used with a blast shield. I think this was a rule years ago. This is just common sense and should be included in the rules. I know FAs don't spit as much as other revolvers but there is some side blast however minimal and not everyone is flush enough to shoot an FA.

I know HQ has given some thought to updating the IHMSA bylaws and think we should also be collecting ideas/comments to improve our rules.

Any other comments out there?
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885