500 meter silhouette rules

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Re: 500 meter silhouette rules

Post by volleyman »

260 Striker wrote: Also, I personally have submitted suggested FP cartridge changes that just dropped into some void and never even got a reply they had been received but then other rules appear by magic. I just wish rule changes were considered equally regardless who submits them and there was some mechanism to ask for feedback from at least the MDs around the country.
We lack transparency what is going on within the organization.
There are rules for submitting a rule change. (kinda figures) We as a board review/vote on those submissions and if it is of significance, then it will be voted on the full membership. Not every rule submission is approved. In the years I was VP I was constantly asking for suggestions/feedback and recieved little to no response.There is no IHMSA Secret Handshake. I'm also quite sure there was not an IHMSA board member on the Grassy Knoll in Dallas in 1963. We are just a bunch of volunteers tring to do our best to keep this sport going. If anyone thinks they can do a better job I welcome them to run for a position in this organization.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Good to know Ultra had been discussed with MDs where currently offered. That info is needed to know new rules have been well thought out. As for my suggested changes, I did follow the rules for rules and got nothing back from rules committee, whoever they are. I know it sounds like sour grapes but why can't we at least get some idea of what each committee is doing and if my rule changes or other rule changes were not deemed appropriate then at least let me know. Sorry, didn't want to sidetrack this subject. Go Ultra!!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

what I am saying, Just scan the recent posts and think like a new shooter. Most of the posts are negative and would send a new shooter running! :ymblushing:

just for the hell of it, I figured out the momentum factor for My 44Mag revolver:

Load is a 240Gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1525 Fps. A balistic program showed it had a remaining Velocity of 650fps at 500 meters. after I figured it out, it had a momentum factor of .693. This does not meet the requirement of .78, but to this date, I have not rang a soft set ram with it. ;)

attached is the records (as we know) for 500 meters, 22 Ultra, 1/2 scale and 1/5 scale. if it says NRA, these guns did not meet the IHMSA requirements but do meet NRA specs:
500 Meter Records 2015.pdf
(203.92 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

tonedaddy wrote:It should just be if you hit a ram and it does not fall it does not count, plain and simple!! X( again too many complicated rules!! If your gun ain't big enough get a bigger one! =))
The problem with that is many matches will be shot on NRA rifle silhouette ranges that have full foot Rams set at 500 meters and there is no way to set them lighter. There are not very many handguns that you would want to shoot 40+ times that will knock over a full foot set ram at 500 meters. And for safety reasons we don't want shooters blowing up guns by putting just a "little" more powder into the case. On the other hand we don't want to just count hits on those rams when someones using a small caliber gun that would not even knock over a lightly set 500M ram. This is fair compromise on the amount of power needed to topple a ram set to our 200 meter standards by having the same topple point at 500 meters. Much testing has gone into this before coming up with rule. Every effort should be made to have the Rams set at the topple point in the rules and then only count hits like we do with everything else. But we have to recognize the problem of hard set stands and the necessity to often clamp the targets when they are set lighter due to wind.
Most of the common 6.5 mm and larger calibers will not have a problem getting to the necessary power level. A 6 mm Dasher can also reach that level. Smaller 6mm and 22mm calibers will find it very hard to reach that level safely. It is not difficult to figure out your 500 meter momentum factor. Most ballistics programs can easily calculate it for you. It's on the honor system. But you better be able to show your numbers if you want to convince a match director that your 22PPC is up to the task.
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Jim Fields told me Tuesday that the metal plate was at the machine shop.DZ Arms is doing the metal work,and the 500 meter concrete was complete and that the pigs and turkey slabs would be finished by this Friday.These targets will be set by to spec! As far as more powder and bigger bullets,we have several shooters doing research and building new guns,just like we did back in the early year`s of IHMSA,myself included.That the fun part!
OKCGC is looking forward to the new ultra class,this will bring a new level of marksmanship to our organization.
We hope some will take advantage and give the ultra a try before condemning,but until you have tried it! please keep an open opinion. **==
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

tonedaddy wrote:
JACKIE40X40 wrote:Jim Fields told me Tuesday that the metal plate was at the machine shop.DZ Arms is doing the metal work,and the 500 meter concrete was complete and that the pigs and turkey slabs would be finished by this Friday.These targets will be set by to spec! As far as more powder and bigger bullets,we have several shooters doing research and building new guns,just like we did back in the early year`s of IHMSA,myself included.That the fun part!
OKCGC is looking forward to the new ultra class,this will bring a new level of marksmanship to our organization.
We hope some will take advantage and give the ultra a try before condemning,but until you have tried it! please keep an open opinion. **==
I would love to try it Jackie, even with my 6PPC!! I shot 500 Meter once back in the 80's with gibar, it was a blast!!
That my plan too Criag, the 6 PPC I bought off the forum.with your 4895 powder and the 115 Berger. :)
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Steve Martens-- Thank you for your replies on this thread. They are informative and reflect the effort and logic that the rules committee put into this endeavor. I hope to someday try this event.

Rich Hawkins
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
dan in mi
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 30384

Post by dan in mi »

I haven't shot in quite a few years (hoping to get back in this summer) but we used to shoot 500m in MI at least once a year with no changes from the 200m game. I guess I am wondering why the need to change anything. Just my 2c
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I would one day like to try this course of fire but sadly there are no ranges anywhere near me that can accommodate a match. I don't know why I have not noticed this sooner but I do have a question about the rules. For Ultra Any-Sight, does a score of 37 make you International or AAA? As written right now a score of 37 is listed as the top of AAA and also the bottom of International.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

nutcase wrote:the following is the approved rules for 500 meter silhouette:

IHMSA ULTRA 500 METER RULES

IHMSA rules for Ultra 500 meter shooting shall be identical to those for Big Bore 200 meter shooting except as follows.

Two categories will be added.

Unlimited Ultra 500.

Unlimited Any Sight Ultra 500.

The preferred distances are as follows: chickens are at 200 meters, pigs at 300 meters, turkeys at 385 meters, and rams at 500 meters.

The 500 meter preferred firing period shall be a 30 second load period followed by a 2 minute and 30 second firing period.

A revolver shooter will be allowed time to switch the front sight if he/she chooses to do so. No additional sighters will be allowed.

In 500 meter shooting there will be no limit to the number of sighter shots allowed, but once the record shots have begun, the course of fire must be shot without additional sighters.

The rams shall be set so that it takes between 28 and 32 ounces to pull them over with a trigger pull scale or other scale. Any cartridge and bullet may be used to shoot the course of fire, but in the event of properly set rams not falling when hit, these targets will be scored as misses.

If and when rams are hard set due to wind conditions, the bullet being shot on the rams must produce a momentum factor of 0.78 or greater at 500 meters for hits to be counted. Shooters will be on the honor system to know the momentum factor of the load they use on rams and to state that they know this to be over 0.78 when targets are hard set and hits counted. The momentum factor is computed by multiplying the bullet weight in grains times the remaining velocity at 500 meters and dividing the product by 225,200.

Ultra 500 Meter IHMSA Classifications

Unlimited Iron Sights
34 or better - International
25-33- AAA
24 and below- AA

Unlimited Scoped
37 or better - International
30-36- AAA
29 and below -AA