Practical Hunter Rules

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Practical Hunter Rules

Post by nutcase »

The following are the Practical Hunter rules approved by the board. These will be printed and incorporated into the 2016 Rule book:

Class Description:

The purpose of the class is to provide a course of fire that simulates the conditions and distances a handgun hunter would encounter in the field.
The intent of the class is to have handguns on the firing line that are representative of what would be commonly used for hunting.
All three classes will be shot from any SAFE freestyle shooting position including prone, kneeling, sitting, or standing.
Practical Hunter Long Course. will be shot on the 200 Big Bore range with the standard full size targets at their normal ranges.
Practical Hunter Short Course will be shot on the 100 meter Field Pistol range with the standard targets at their normal ranges, using standard field pistol cartridges only.
Practical Hunter .22LR Course will be shot on the 100 yard Small Bore targets at their normal ranges.

Class Rules:

1. Any hunting style handgun with a maximum length of 21 inches.
2. Optics are allowed up to a maximum of 6X power. The use of higher variable power scopes will be allowed, But they must not be used over 6x during the course of fire. The use of fixed power scopes over 6x is not allowed.
3. Guns must be as manufactured with only cosmetic modifications.
4. Ported barrels are allowed as long as they are shot from a SAFE position.
5. A rest such as a bipod or a sandbag supporting the barrel in the prone position may be used by an unclassified shooter and by shooters in classes A and AA.

Classification Scores:

A 0-15
AA. 16-25
AAA. 26-38
INT. 39-40
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Re: Practical Hunter Rules

Post by braud357 »

There are several parts of these rules that I have a problem with. First - the rule stating that you cannot use a bipod or bags once you enter AAA class. I thought that this category was going to encourage handgun hunters to try handgun silhouette with their hunting handgun. When in the field, how many people take shots at game without support when support is available ? (Not many, I am sure !) I personally do not care if I am shooting against a shooter using a bipod or bags. If you are trying to encourage hunters, this provision need to be re-thought. Another point is the scope magnification limits. Most hunters use the scope they are most comfortable with, and the one that matches their needs. If a shooter has a Leupold 2.5-8X scope, he may want to use it to his best advantage. Again. we are trying to encourage the hunters to participate, then we are telling him that his gun is not allowed. Another point is the statement of "as manufactured, with no cosmetic modifications" - this does not even align itself with IHMSA Production gun rules. If you follow this rule to the letter - a shortened trigger spring in a TC renders the gun illegal. Any other added-on accessory, such as camo tape or paint, etc. violates this rule as well. I would like to encourage the Rules Committee to rethink and simplify these rules. I thought that this category was going to be a "run what you brung" category - I suppose not ! We need to encourage participation, not discourage it ! Philip Braud IHMSA#13794 Louisiana State Director
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Philip, Agree 110% I'm not sure who championed the scope power limitation for PH but our IHMSA rules seem a little two faced to me when we allow flop guns with 30+ scopes and even my BB UAS gun has up to 8X which I use. I guess my biggest question is why was this new category named Practical Hunter when some of the features that handgun hunters use are ruled out? Maybe a better name would have been Limited Hunter!!!!! Many MDs allow side matches for carry guns and rifles which brings revenue to the local clubs. You would think IHMSA would have an Open category to let people shoot guns they may use for any other shooting activity that don't fall within the limitations of our current categories. I think we are getting a little rule overboard sometimes. Even my comment about momentum factor in the new Ultra. How can that rule be enforced? We need to put more fun back into our sport and not be rule Nazis all the time. I bet many MDs today are letting guns into Production classes that may have a clipped spring or illegal screw here or there and no problems have occurred. I am reminded of the DW revolvers with Pachmayr grips that might go one ounce over the Production limit. I personally know of many of those guns that were shot and no complaints were heard. IHMSA rules are almost getting PC instead of being based upon common sense. This is another case where feedback from at least MDs around the country should be considered by the Rules Committee before enacting new rules. IHMSA is for all shooters and not just the ones that sit on the RC.

Side issue - I am presently reviewing the bylaws for grammar and inconsistencies. Extra committees are mentioned as needed but no where did I see any information how these committees were formed. who serves on the committees and that no reports would be made available to the IHMSA members what was being discussed or approved by these committees. I think each of our current committees, whatever they are, should be publishing comments in each edition of the IHMSA News about the business they are conducting. If nothing to report, then post that. I am surprised the Ultra rule just popped out of nowhere. I'm sure a few people knew about it but I thought new rules had to be presented annually just like all other rule changes. I never did hear anymore about my suggestion for extra cartridges for FP. What happened to that?
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
nutcase
Site Admin

Post by nutcase »

260 Striker wrote:Philip, Agree 110% I'm not sure who championed the scope power limitation for PH but our IHMSA rules seem a little two faced to me when we allow flop guns with 30+ scopes and even my BB UAS gun has up to 8X which I use. I guess my biggest question is why was this new category named Practical Hunter when some of the features that handgun hunters use are ruled out? Maybe a better name would have been Limited Hunter!!!!! Many MDs allow side matches for carry guns and rifles which brings revenue to the local clubs. You would think IHMSA would have an Open category to let people shoot guns they may use for any other shooting activity that don't fall within the limitations of our current categories. I think we are getting a little rule overboard sometimes. Even my comment about momentum factor in the new Ultra. How can that rule be enforced? We need to put more fun back into our sport and not be rule Nazis all the time. I bet many MDs today are letting guns into Production classes that may have a clipped spring or illegal screw here or there and no problems have occurred. I am reminded of the DW revolvers with Pachmayr grips that might go one ounce over the Production limit. I personally know of many of those guns that were shot and no complaints were heard. IHMSA rules are almost getting PC instead of being based upon common sense. This is another case where feedback from at least MDs around the country should be considered by the Rules Committee before enacting new rules. IHMSA is for all shooters and not just the ones that sit on the RC.

Side issue - I am presently reviewing the bylaws for grammar and inconsistencies. Extra committees are mentioned as needed but no where did I see any information how these committees were formed. who serves on the committees and that no reports would be made available to the IHMSA members what was being discussed or approved by these committees. I think each of our current committees, whatever they are, should be publishing comments in each edition of the IHMSA News about the business they are conducting. If nothing to report, then post that. I am surprised the Ultra rule just popped out of nowhere. I'm sure a few people knew about it but I thought new rules had to be presented annually just like all other rule changes. I never did hear anymore about my suggestion for extra cartridges for FP. What happened to that?
First, I probably will never shoot Practical hunter. Being an INT shooter in almost everything, this would be a waste for me.

As for the bylaws, you probably have seen the same things I have. But as the bylaws state, As Me being the News editor when I get a rule or bylaw change to be considered at the annual meeting, I will print them in the news. Since I did not see the bylaws until about 2 months ago, I may have missed some things this last year. We are going to start from scratch in 2016 and I will print what is required from me.

As News editor, it is my responsibility to keep the membership informed of Rule changes, Etc.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Post by LOCKHART »

Is there a weight limit? I would like to try my Smith .500 and maybe my scoped Desert Eagle .50AE.
nutcase
Site Admin

Post by nutcase »

LOCKHART wrote:Is there a weight limit? I would like to try my Smith .500 and maybe my scoped Desert Eagle .50AE.
No weight limit in Practical hunter!
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

LOCKHART wrote:Is there a weight limit? I would like to try my Smith .500 and maybe my scoped Desert Eagle .50AE.

You might contact the match director & make sure he's ok with that power level on his targets.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000