Regarding Practical Hunter entries

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Regarding Practical Hunter entries

Post by 260 Striker »

Great point HS40. Limit scopes to handgun scopes with no limitation on power!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I said way back we missed the boat on P.H.. There are too many things to consider now besides the power of a scope. Is a trigger job not allowed? Are "other than factory" grips allowed. Most of the people we are going for will have modified their favorite hunting guns in many ways. We seemed to be headed with this back to the old days of price caps and that's the wrong screw in there. For some it has become a competitive category, not a category for new shooters. AS our shooters have aged they use it as another category to shoot at a match. That is not what it was intended for. My feeling was it was for new shooters to shoot what you brung.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

35isit wrote:I said way back we missed the boat on P.H.. There are too many things to consider now besides the power of a scope. Is a trigger job not allowed? Are "other than factory" grips allowed. Most of the people we are going for will have modified their favorite hunting guns in many ways. We seemed to be headed with this back to the old days of price caps and that's the wrong screw in there. For some it has become a competitive category, not a category for new shooters. AS our shooters have aged they use it as another category to shoot at a match. That is not what it was intended for. My feeling was it was for new shooters to shoot what you brung.
Greg, your comments about attracting new shooters closely mirrors what I said when this category was proposed. I felt that it had no hope of attracting new shooters. For all intents & purposes new shooters don't exist. Unless you offer action based shooting, which we don't and shouldn't. But this horse is already out of the barn. It has morphed into exactly what I thought it would. Just another category for current members to shoot "safe queens". I would like to know just how many new members it has actually generated.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Post by BLACKBEAR »

Greg

I fit the "old guy wanting to shoot more scoped entries" for my interest in PH. Plus it is a blast, to lay down and send 210 grains of 41 mag bullet into a poor little chicken.

A peek in the gun vault would reveal a number of early T/C barrels I have used to take Wyoming antelope. My first pistol kill was with a super 14 in 30-30 with a two power Pentax pistol scope. I swear, that scope made the animals look further away. :(

Our current,go to pistol for antelope is a mid grip Neseka chambered in 243 Ackley. I have also used my UAS legal BAT in 6.5 Grendel to harvest a nice buck antelope at ram line distance from creedmore . :D

Bill
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Keep intimidation out of practical hunter if the intended purpose is to attract/keep new shooters.

International class shooters should be ineligible for practical hunter. If you want to bring another gun to shoot just run a re-entry in production, revolver or unlimited.

New shooters will be hard to keep if they consistently see perfect scores in the beginner class by the same shooter that shot a perfect score in production, revolver or unlimited.

I'm sure this would ruffle some feathers though.
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Post by BLACKBEAR »

I just rechecked the PH rules:

A 0-15
AA 16-25
AAA 26-38
INT 39-40

So should a "new" shooter even care what an old INT does?
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

I guess I missed the boat on this I thought PH was to bring new shooter so they could shoot what they had just as long as no target damage . now they got hire a lawyer to decipher the rules. how many new shooter is that going to bring in!!!
my Rules for PH
no target damage
NO SCORE CARD
and HAVE FUN
new shooters could get a taste of our sport and old shooter could pull something from the safe and have fun with it.
I have a hard time understanding why a seasoned shooter would get any satisfaction from racking up 40's in a entry level event
don't turn this into a rules night mare or a means of a cheap 40. let have one thing that is simple and fun.
Sorry I guess my pacemaker sped up and flood my brain with a over flow of blood and cause me to rant @-) :ymalien:
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Blackbear; lets remove the score divisions in P H. Shoot as an introduction to IHMSA; shoot for your own interest and evaluation; shoot for fun. Your score is just that----your score. If there is a crossover into other IHMSA then that is a benefit. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

RP is right. We should have one category/class that is NOT about competing against other shooters but just allowing everyone to shoot any gun/combination for fun. I keep seeing bordello entries and even rifle entries being shot on our FP, short and long courses just for fun. PH should be designed to let shooters use "actual" hunting guns and then let them shoot to hone their hunting skills. Shooting steel was very helpful to me back when I was hunting with a handgun. I have shot many entries with guns that did not meet IHMSA rules and did so just for the fun of shooting. Didn't turn in the scorecards so IHMSA didn't make their $1 entry fee. Not everything we do on our local ranges has to be about competition. PH "might" be more appealing to a new shooter if they didn't think they were competing against some other more experienced IHMSA shooter. Most of us realize how much fun shooting steel is but there are many who are really into beating the other guy/gal. Just make PH a fun, non-competitive category/class so IHMSA can at least get their dollar per entry. I don't know if the MDs who offer bordello and rifle entries still send in those entry fees to IHMSA but technically since they are not sanctioned that money should stay with the local club. I think some MDs still send in the money to bolster the IHMSA coffers. Of course we don't know what our coffers hold these days!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885