Regarding Practical Hunter entries

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Regarding Practical Hunter entries

Post by Richard Pickering »

In the last few months I have had some entries in P H. I enjoy it and it gives me a chance to bring out some of mine that aren't currently in the First String lineup. There are those who don't look for P H to become a draw for new shooters. Here are a few observations :
Maybe we should consider making P H non-competitive. Shoot it all you wish but no awards are given. We could still list scores but for our own interest.
Another point needs to be made. If you shoot an entry----UAS as an example----AND intend to shoot the same gun setup in P H----you should shoot the IHMSA UAS entry first. This eliminates using P H as a ''sight in'' session for your IHMSA entry. If you shoot the same gun in P H as you used in UAS it doesn't matter due to P H having no awards.
P H is fun and should attract new shooters. However if they come out and feel they cannot compete they wont stay. We need new shooters. Lets take a personal interest in them; not intimidate them.
Richard
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
User avatar United States of America
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Re: Regarding Practical Hunter entries

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

TD, too bad you'll miss me missing targets in UAS with Super Redhawk scoped this weekend!
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Awards? Awards? Where?Where? Ranges here in OH just shoot for bragging rights these days. Helps to keep costs down. I'm sure there are some cross overs between PH and some of the regular IHMSA categories and probably should have PH shot last in that case. The rules do state order to shoot other categories so should be easy to include in the rules. I guess shooting order is important if awards are given away but around here, who cares????? I could shoot three or four practice rounds and still shoot a lousy entry for score!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Post by BLACKBEAR »

I put a scope on my FA 41 mag in hopes of bagging a Wyoming antelope. Just prior to the hunt the custom trigger job went south so that did not happen.

Now with a factory trigger back in the pistol I have had a lot of fun blasting PH entries. I have yet to ring a field pistol chicken with the 210 grain bullet :D

Bill
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

Please contact me with any input on the rules for Practical Hunter as we want to finalize the rules so they can be included when we reprint the rule book in early 2016. My feeling on this category is that it should be primarily used as a entry level category, free of an equipment race and the guns on the line should represent guns that might be found in local gun stores. This will make new shooters feel more comfortable competing against like guns.
Thanks, Steve
BLACKBEAR
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 51408

Post by BLACKBEAR »

Pistols I have used in Practical Hunter:

PH short course: FA 41 mag with a 2.5x8 Leupold set on six power
PH long course: 6MM BR Encore with a 2.5x8 Leupold set on six power
PH 22: 22 Striker also with a 2.5x8 Leupold set on six power

So I would like to do away with the six power rule. :-bd

Bill
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Rich, I believe a P H entry was shot using a UAS gun at the Region 2 this year. Craig, we only have recognition via our match report. My mention was directed at the Regional or other major matches about awards. Blackbear, I tend to agree about removing the scope power restriction. Richard
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

In support of the 6x scope rule , I like that it evens the field for creedmore shooter and the prone/flop shooter. Without the 6x rule the prone shooters would all use 24x or higher scopes. And while it is possible to hunt with a large rifle scope on your handgun it is not the typical setup you see in the field. I think that it tends to keep the guns used for Practical Hunter looking more like typical hunting guns.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

When I first heard of PH I thought this would be a class where a shooter could bring any gun that was legal for hunting and be able to shoot some steel. Basically, no rules other than what was allowed by your state hunting laws. This would allow a handgun hunter to hone their skills by shooting steel. Is the intent to be competitive with other PH shooters or just practice with your hunting handgun? By setting rules we restrict the true handgun hunter from utilizing the gun he/she would use in actual hunting situations. I guess what IHMSA really needs is another category (NOT) called open where a person could bring a 20 pound handgun with any magnification scope and just bang the iron. I know most of the matches in OH now do not have any awards or monetary payback so we just win bragging rights until the next match. PH should really be about "practical hunting" handguns that are legal for use. Sorry to spout off but there should be one class/category in IHMSA that is just shot for fun and not for competition. I'm not into the competitive side of IHMSA as much as I am into just shooting and having fun so my views are different than most people.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

volleyman wrote:Please contact me with any input on the rules for Practical Hunter as we want to finalize the rules so they can be included when we reprint the rule book in early 2016. My feeling on this category is that it should be primarily used as a entry level category, free of an equipment race and the guns on the line should represent guns that might be found in local gun stores. This will make new shooters feel more comfortable competing against like guns.
Thanks, Steve
I understand this logic and agree to a certain extent. But one of the most widely used handgun scopes is the Leopold 2.5 X 8. And Burris made a 12X. A good compromise for the rules would be to require only handgun scopes. If a shooter has a rifle scope and shoots flop, he should be placed in UAS anyway.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer