Grips - What's the reasoning...

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
Scotchmo
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Grips - What's the reasoning...

Post by Scotchmo »

for this part of the rules?:

A. Equipment and Accessories
2. Not Allowed
B) Applied friction materials or rubberizing on any part of the handgun.

It seems like it should be allowed, at least on grips. A grip should be "grippy" as opposed to slippery.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Re: Grips

Post by i26963 »

I have been shooting this game since 1981, and some of our rules never cease to amaze me. You cannot checker, or rubberize, but you can use a Pachmeyer forend and grip, which is rubber and checkered!! :p
Another one that bothers me is in Production. Only the manufacturer can re-barrel your production gun(Which in the case of MOA, is not possible right now. Or, in the case of BF, wait over a year on a re-barrel) but you can buy aftermarket TC barrels with your choice of barrel manufactuer in some cases.
We seem to make it hard for new shooters to get started.
I don't want to hear the crap about preserving the Production gun. We all know the only difference now in a Prod. gun and a UL gun is the sight radius. And look where that rule has gotten us now! :-s
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: Grips - What's the reasoning...

Post by 260 Striker »

Some of our rules definitely need to be revisited and changed. The grip issue is one that needs changing. If a gun has a slippery grip, to me that is a safety issue and the shooter should be allowed to make the grip safer. I seem to care less about some rules that make no sense. I'm sure in the early days of IHMSA some of the rules made sense but with fewer suppliers of IHMSA legal guns and equipment I think it is time to bring our rules to a more "common sense" level. Just like a ported gun is legal in PH but not Revolver or Production. Those rules should compliment each other NOT conflict.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

so is this legal for unlimited :-ss
Attachments
grip.JPG
grip.JPG (82.65 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Richard, Just my "guess" but this is a factory offered grip and also the gun is unlimited so I think you are OK. Don't know the official ruling if you were to take the gun to the Ints. Years ago a local shooter repainted an unlimited stock and embedded some fine sand in the paint on the grip and that was not allowed. Personally, I think anything that makes a grip less slippery should be allowed since I think that makes it safer for the shooter. A Pachmayr on a Ruger makes a big difference and makes the gun easier to control but that is allowed so similar things should be allowed on other guns in the name of safety. I hope others will comment on your grip so you can be sure it is legal.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
ole95
Class A

Post by ole95 »

That's a go
Anybody questions it @ the ECC
My reply T daddy and 260 said I could L-)
jrs
"ole78x80"
IHMSA #57528
NRA
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

The cow looks like target damage to me. Propelent?
United States of America
Jimologist
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 51873

Post by Jimologist »

Hi Richard, Lynn. Craig,

Heres my interpretation of the picture.

The rules state that RUBBERIZING is not allowed. Rubberizing in my opinion is the application of sheets or the spraying or painting on of a rubber compound, laminating etc.and I believe that is what the rule addresses.

Rubber grips are legal and are allowed. A case in point are Pachmyrs and Hogues, both of which are factory replacement rubber (not rubberized) grips. What you are showing here is a grip. And it is a factory grip. The fact that it slips on is of little matter. Whether it attaches with no alteration to the gun or grip is moot as this appears to be an unlimited gun.

Someone else might have a different opinion.

Since I am the match director for the ECC my opinion has weight for this particular instance and this particular match.
Dont worry about these.

Jim K
ole95
Class A

Post by ole95 »

Now this is what I like :ymapplause: some one willing to step up and make a call :ymapplause:
something you see very little of these days of being politically correct, not hurting anyone's feeling or treat of being sued **== **== **==
Jim (and you others) thank you for still having your Manhood and taking a stand.
I firmly believe if Jim, Melvin, Lynn and Crag made up the rules committee most of these BS rules that maybe was needed in 1983 would be thinned out
and the rules would be so simple "even a cave man" could shoot silhouette \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
I shall step to the line @ the ECC with my rubber gripped unlimited XP knowing I'm legal (in that part anyway) and not only have the full support of the Match director but two of the most highly decorated shooters in the great state of Ohio. And I so feel sure I will have the support of the newly appointed regional
director Mr. hardttoseeoverthegut as soon and he read this :-bd
this stand ever how small it its in the eyes of some is life changing in mine and lets me believe there is still hope :ympray:
thanks you from the bottom of my pea picking heart :ymhug:
jrs
"ole78x80"
IHMSA #57528
NRA
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

No worries ole95.
I'm a cheerleader for IHMSA that doesn't wear wear a skirt.
Hell, I'll even do the same to my XP in LA!

I know there are articles out there that say Pachmyer and Hogue grips on revolvers are detrimental to accuracy but there is no way on god's green earth I'd shoot my SBH or DW SuperMag without them!

I'm more concerned with expanding our membership and number of ranges than a $6 prophylactic on the grip of an unlimited gun!

It can be callous city shooting my production "Beer Fart" (TD's nickname for them circa 1991) in 6.5 TCU. I couldn't imagine shooting one in 44 mag with those smooth wooden grips!

Speaking in the vernacular of the team that was beat in the Sugar Bowl by OSU... Y'all should see the elitist crap going on in IMSSU discriminating against handicapped shooters!

Piss on the drama, recruit new members, one in Region 3 will leave the ECC with a 22 unlimited gun!
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!