Yet another PH question

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Re: Yet another PH question

Post by i26963 »

Craig
I feel your pain. Does anyone besides me feel it is ironic that we created another class to make it easy for new shooters, and the rules are so hard to interpret that no-one can understand them?? :-s
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

I will ask Dell Taylor about it since he is the rules chairman. I have to call him anyway about some other stuff.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I was really hoping PH would be a category for real world true hunting handguns and not bogged down with rules. In the real world a handgun hunter is going to tailor his/her hunting gun to suit his/her needs not build it to comply with some sporting organization rules. If a hunter has a ATF legal handgun he/she should be able to shoot it in PH. NO RULES!!!! I thought this new category was supposed to entice handgun hunters to try silhouettes not make them change their handguns to meet our needs/rules. PH really should be an Unlimited/Unlimited category. We could expect to see any ATF legal handgun from bone stockers to really tricked out overweight guns with modified stocks and high powered scopes. Sounds like we should have named this RS for restricted hunter. Can't we just have a class where anything goes as long as the Feds don't care? Rules are like traffic laws, we want everyone to drive the same speed limit but I still see Ferarris on the road a Prius. Let PH shooters shoot what they actually hunt with!!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

From the little I know about it------wouldn't it be better to allow Standing only and limit the distances to 50m and 100m ? Shoot open sights or shoot it scoped. Shoot Production guns with up to 12'' barrels-----that is what comes from the factory now. Maybe you want to divide out the Revolvers. Few hunters are going to shoot animals past 50m. from a standing position. Richard
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I don't use no stinking rest.
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Just me and the gun.

When hunting the day usaually starts out with me standing with a tree at my back to lean on. once that gets old I find a stump or log to sit on. You never know where the animal will come from. You may have an idea by sign or the lay of the woods but it would take too much moving around (rustling leaves, breaking twigs, etc.) to get a tree as a rest in the direction you will need to shoot and you will get busted.

This is how it is for me in Western PA woods. Other areas I'm sure are different.

This is why I like silhouette standing disciplines so much.
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

TD just shoot what ever it is that you won't to shoot
If someone has a problem with it tell them to show you in the rule book :-o
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Trigger springs are not cosmetic.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

Practical Hunter should be "practical". You must wear the blaze orange requirements. Have a flask of Jack Daniels in your hunting jacket. Also, there must be a Marlboro red hanging out of your mouth.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

And we wonder why match directors roll their eyes when something like this is proposed. I thought it was just kind of a dumping ground category for hunting handguns, intended to lure non-IHMSA shooters. A scoped 44 mag from a guy who knows he will never shoot a deer from creedmore, but may take a shot from a sandbag on a 2x10 while sitting in a ground blind.

We are our worst enemy. Do away with all the PH classes. Tell anyone that wants to shoot anything "Yes, bring your gun, pay your money, shoot from any safe position, have fun."
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000