PH Question, Part 2

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

PH Question, Part 2

Post by 260 Striker »

OK, I'm still confused (bet that shocked a lot of you!!) Went back again and re-read the new 2014 PH addendum and it states "Gun must be as manufactured with only cosmetic modifications" and then later states "Ported barrels are allowed as long as they are shot from a safe position". Note to self - Quit reading the rules!!!!

Here is my confusion. Is it legal to use a gun with Magna-Porting in PH? As I read these rules only guns with FACTORY porting would be legal in PH since only "cosmetic" modifications are allowed after a gun leaves the manufacturer. What if a guy had an XP or TC set up for hunting with a brake and wanted to use it for the PH Long Course? I have seen many Ruger Super Blackhawks with Magna-Porting and would be perfect for the PH Short Course.

I'm also ----guessing---- there is NO weight limit for PH. If a person sets up a gun strictly for hunting, they probably are not concerned with a maximum weight other than too much to carry around all day so I'm sure some hunting guns will not even meet our U-gun weight limits.

Is IHMSA trying to over think what PH should really mean. Why not just allow any hunting gun, period? If you hunt bunnies with Grandpas old top break 32 S&W but you have modified it with adjustable sights, SO WHAT?????

I defer to people like HS40 who will use common sense in PH.

As stated in my other PH topic, I'm going to bring up adding PH to our club this year and just want some clarification.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: PH Question, Part 2

Post by 35isit »

I will add to the confusion. I have NOT read all the rules on PH yet. But, I was under the understanding ported barrels meant "factory" ported barrels also. If porting or muzzle brakes are added after it leaves the factory it's a no go. Most of the guns you speak of are also not legal in Unlimited or Unlimited Any Sight because the barrel length is too short.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

35isit wrote:I will add to the confusion. I have NOT read all the rules on PH yet. But, I was under the understanding ported barrels meant "factory" ported barrels also. If porting or muzzle brakes are added after it leaves the factory it's a no go. Most of the guns you speak of are also not legal in Unlimited or Unlimited Any Sight because the barrel length is too short.
There is no minimum barrel length for Unlimited or UAS.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

HS40, I think Greg is correct about too short. Section X.A.2 Not Allowed C) states "Muzzle brakes, compensators or ported barrels on handguns with barrel length less than 12 inches in overall length, including the muzzle brake, compensator or porting". This would prevent a braked U-gun with less than a 12 inch barrel.

This would also prevent a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk with Magna-Porting from being used in PH. That would also mean these new semi-autos with factory porting could not be used on the PH Short Course. Add another point of confusion!!!!

If anyone on the rules committee is watching our posts on Rules, I think many of these issues need to be clarified and new, revised rules made available to the members. PH was just an addendum and was just slapped onto the back of the older 2010(?) rules since we have not had new rule books printed in years. When any change to any rule is submitted and approved, the rules committee should review ALL existing rules to assess the impact of newly adopted rules.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

260 Striker wrote:HS40, I think Greg is correct about too short. Section X.A.2 Not Allowed C) states "Muzzle brakes, compensators or ported barrels on handguns with barrel length less than 12 inches in overall length, including the muzzle brake, compensator or porting". This would prevent a braked U-gun with less than a 12 inch barrel.

This would also prevent a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk with Magna-Porting from being used in PH. That would also mean these new semi-autos with factory porting could not be used on the PH Short Course. Add another point of confusion!!!!

If anyone on the rules committee is watching our posts on Rules, I think many of these issues need to be clarified and new, revised rules made available to the members. PH was just an addendum and was just slapped onto the back of the older 2010(?) rules since we have not had new rule books printed in years. When any change to any rule is submitted and approved, the rules committee should review ALL existing rules to assess the impact of newly adopted rules.
If we are talking solely about braked barrels that would be true. I was thinking it was a blanket statement on all barrels. My error.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Guess I have now confused both of you too. I think both of you are MDs so I'm sure you both will just use your good old common sense and let the people shoot.

PH should really be an "open" category where anyone can shoot any gun as long as they are safe. Maybe they should have called PH, Open. If a shooter has a gun they want to shoot and it doesn't match any of the other defined categories, then let them shoot the Open category.

Now my 32 S&W top break may be shooting against a scoped TC but I DON'T CARE. I'm still having too much fun shooting silhouettes after 30+ years and sometimes the rules just in the way. If that happens, I just pay for a scorecard and don't turn it in when I'm done shooting.

I think the real bottom line here is we don't want to turn away any shooters so lets make a way for their guns to be legal in a sanctioned match.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

One of the big advantages of Practical Hunter is the ported barrel rule. The rule says "Ported barrels are allowed as long as they are shot from a safe position". There is no reference to barrel length. This allows firearms such as the ported 6" Taurus double action revolver to shoot legally. The intent of the category is to allow over counter less expensive firearms to compete. Practical hunter was never intended to be clouded down with the rules of our other previous sanctioned categories. I do agree that aftermarket muzzle brakes and porting would not be allowed as per the cosmetic rule.
If someone entered a custom cosmetic "PLUS" type gun, ported less than 12" barrel they would be required to shoot Bordello at Jackson Purchase. The goal is introduce new shooters to the sport. At the same time we have a growing interest from the base membership. It is here to stay as evidenced by all the entries in the Championship matches of 2014. I have promoted PH and will continue this year. Great category!
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

Jerry is correct. But I bring up the prospect of this. His shooter shoots every month at his match with a 8 inch factory ported revolver. Match director A says he is fine and is doing it safely. He shows up at your place and proceeds to lay down and shoot and you tell him he is not doing safely. He then gets mad and doesn't show up again or everyone thinks match director A is an idiot.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Hey guys I'm with you 100%. What I'm really trying to point out here is what I consider a serious area of confusion in our rule book. Section X of the rules is generic and applies to ALL categories if you read it correctly. Me, I was always for the ported Taurus, DW and other ported handguns anyway. For a person to use a ported handgun "safely" then not be allowed to use that same handgun in Production or Revolver doesn't make sense. Is that same person not going to use it safely in P or R?

I'm all for PH and allowing ANY gun that a shooter brings to a match that he/she intends to use or has already used as a hunting gun. People in the East may favor different configurations of hunting guns while people out West may have longer barreled, braked handguns suitable for their wide open spaces. Try your 8" ported Taurus on antelope sometime!!!! PH is really Ultimate Unlimited since anything goes that is suitable for hunting. Checkout Section X and you will see it covers all categories for allowed and not allowed items.

Please keep on doing what you are currently doing at your matches since you both are using common sense and encouraging new shooters. Maybe the rules will catch up with common sense in the future.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

Shot this factory "Power Ported" .45 Colt Model 625 S&W in PHSC last year, and had a big time! Didn't even adjust sights during the matches, just figured the hold unders and overs like would be done in the woods. Shot mid 20s standing, which is pretty good for me. And took it hunting last autumn, but no deer got in front of it. Looking forward to more, and may try a Mag-Na-Ported 629 this year. About half of my hunting revolvers are ported, but in actual fact I don't care at all for it. It's just how they came...